CPAN install on Debian slug

  • Peter Campion-Bye
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
      My 'install Bundle::CPAN' has been running for over 4 days now, does
      anyone have any idea how long it will actually take?
      The slug is de-underclocked (266 bogomips) and I've given it an extra
      half gig of swap on the USB stick.
      Anything else I can do to speed things up?
    • Ingo Flaschberger
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
        Dear Peter,

        > My 'install Bundle::CPAN' has been running for over 4 days now, does
        > anyone have any idea how long it will actually take?
        > The slug is de-underclocked (266 bogomips) and I've given it an extra
        > half gig of swap on the USB stick.
        > Anything else I can do to speed things up?

        installing to usb takes really long - try to install at a hard disk and
        also swap to disk.

        copy whole system to disk and then back:
        raw: dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
        or better:
        tar: tar cflp - . | ( cd /mnt ; tar xfvlp - )

        Kind regards,
        Ingo Flaschberger
      • Peter Campion-Bye
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2010
          On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:10:50 +0100 (CET), Ingo Flaschberger <if@...>
          wrote:
          > Dear Peter,
          >
          >> My 'install Bundle::CPAN' has been running for over 4 days now, does
          >> anyone have any idea how long it will actually take?
          >> The slug is de-underclocked (266 bogomips) and I've given it an extra
          >> half gig of swap on the USB stick.
          >> Anything else I can do to speed things up?
          >
          > installing to usb takes really long - try to install at a hard disk and
          > also swap to disk.
          >
          > copy whole system to disk and then back:
          > raw: dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
          > or better:
          > tar: tar cflp - . | ( cd /mnt ; tar xfvlp - )
          >

          > Kind regards,
          > Ingo Flaschberger

          Thanks for the suggestion Ingo, I transferred the contents of the USB
          stick to a mobile disk and the install completed overnight.