Re: IPKG problems

  • biodiesel_bri
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
      I'm also having the same problem, specifically this file returns a 404 not found:

      http://ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos4be/cross/unstable/ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_armeb.ipk

      -B

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "james_robertson2000" <james_robertson2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/sqlite_3.7.2-1_armeb.ipk
      > wget: server returned error 404: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
      >
      > If I go to http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/ then a directory listing includes sqlite_3.7.2-1_armeb.ipk
      >
      > However, clicking on the link then brings up a 404 error message.
      >
      > From the .conf files in /etc/ipkg (the "STATUS" comments are mine):
      > cross-feeds.conf is:
      > src/gz cross http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable
      > STATUS: .ipk files can be downloaded from this directory
      >
      > native-feeds.conf is:
      > src/gz native http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable
      > STATUS: .ipk files in this directory return 404 errors
      >
      > os-feed.conf is:
      > src/gz oe http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta
      > STATUS: .ipk files in this directory return 404 errors
      >
      > unslung-cross.conf is:
      > src/gz unslung-cross http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross
      > STATUS: .ipk files in this directory return 404 errors
      >
      > unslung-native.conf is:
      > src/gz unslung-native http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/native
      > STATUS: .ipk files in this directory return 404 errors
      >
      > In each of the above directories, the file packages.gz exists and can be downloaded.
      >
      > Therefore, it looks like something is wrong with the ipkg repo.
      >
      > Do you know if there's anybody that this can be escalated to? Googling for things, I've seen other people complaining that they have encountered ipkg errors.
      >
      > From posts here (http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21804) I see that "links to ipkg packages are redirected to ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org"
      >
      > Looking at ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org, the only subdirectory in http://ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/ is 'cross'. However, from the above .conf files, there should be a 'native' directory as well.
      >
      > So it basically looks like some directories are missing from http://ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org
      >
      > Do you know if there is any way of escalating this or flagging it up to Rod Whitby? Having said that, I've searched for some of his posts and am sending him a message.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      > Jim
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <b88zhou@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On my unslung nslu2, the optware feed is configured as
      > >
      > > src/gz cross http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/unslung/cross/unstable
      > >
      > > in /etc/ipkg/cross-feed.conf . I think if you change unslung to nslu2, or change unstable to stable, it should also work. But http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/ seems too short and does not point to any specific feed.
      > >
      > > -Brian
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "james_robertson2000" <james_robertson2000@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks Brian. It's the same one that I've been using for the last few years. In fact, I don't recall ever manually configuring a URL for IPKG.

    • gothick
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 27, 2010
        biodiesel_bri wrote:

        > I'm also having the same problem, specifically this file returns a 404 not
        > found:
        >
        > http://ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos4be/cross/unstable/ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_armeb.ipk

        I'm glad it's not just me; tried to update my elderly NSLU2 this morning for
        the first time in ages, and found the same repository problems. The ipk
        files seem to redirect on the server, but the redirect goes to a nonexistent
        file. It's the same feed I've been using for some years; I've not changed
        any of the ipkg configuration...

        Matt
      • gothick
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 27, 2010
          biodiesel_bri wrote:

          > I'm also having the same problem, specifically this file returns a 404 not
          > found:
          >
          > http://ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos4be/cross/unstable/ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_armeb.ipk

          I'm glad it's not just me; tried to update my elderly NSLU2 this morning for
          the first time in ages, and found the same repository problems. The ipk
          files seem to redirect on the server, but the redirect goes to a nonexistent
          file. It's the same feed I've been using for some years; I've not changed
          any of the ipkg configuration...

          I added a feed to optware-nslu2-cross-stable and removed the
          unslung-cross.conf to see what would happen. Interestingly, after a
          _successful_ ipkg update and upgrade, I was left with a new
          unslung-cross.conf, still pointing at that broken-looking
          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross repository, and upgrades
          started failing again...

          Matt
        • james_robertson2000
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 29, 2010
            Temporary fix for this one - just did it on my NSLU2 and it has now downloaded and upgraded packages and seems fine. Apologies for the overly-simplified instructions below, but I want to make sure that they are absolutely clear. I hate to do this, but disclaimer - this worked for me, but I can't guarantee that it won't break your machine!

            Steps are:
            1. You'll need to edit the various .conf files in /etc/ipkg
            To do this, I'm using WinSCP (I said this was overly-simplified!). This allows you to just double click on the files to open and edit them.

            2. For each of the .conf files in the /etc/ipkg directory, we're going to change them to point at a different repository. I've used the mirror repository linked to in the "Mirrors" section here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Packages

            The repository is:
            ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/nslu2/feeds/
            and I've just replaced the file path in the .conf files up to and including feeds/ with the above path.

            Below, I list the five .conf files on *MY* system, each of which need editing. The text in the lines below each file name is everything that is in the edited file. The # just comments out the existing line so that you can manually revert to it later if you want.

            PLEASE NOTE: your system might have different .conf files to mine - after doing this and running ipkg upgrade, I've ended up with two additional .conf files:
            optware-nslu2-cross-stable.conf
            optware-nslu2-native-stable.conf

            Therefore, make sure you edit all of the .conf files in /etc/ipkg on your system as appropriate.

            cross-feeds.conf:
            #src/gz cross http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable
            src/gz cross ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/nslu2/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/

            native-feeds.conf:
            #src/gz native http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable
            src/gz native ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/nslu2/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable

            oe-feed.conf:
            #src/gz oe http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta
            src/gz oe ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/nslu2/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta

            unslung-cross.conf:
            #src/gz unslung-cross http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross
            src/gz unslung-cross ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/nslu2/feeds/unslung/cross

            unslung-native.conf:
            #src/gz unslung-native http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/native
            src/gz unslung-native ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/nslu2/feeds/unslung/native

            3. Using Putty (or whatever other program you use to get command line access to your NSLU2, enter:
            ipkg update

            Check the output from that command to make sure that all of the downloads are from the above ftp site, and not from http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org. If any are from from http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org, you need to double-check your .conf files (above), edit them as appropriate and repeat this step.

            4. Finally, we're going to do the upgrade. Word of warning: one of the upgraded packages for me was the feeds package, which will want to change the various .conf files (which we manually edited above) back to their default state. Personally, I just hit enter to do the default option of keeping the files we manually edited (above).

            Bearing in mind that warning, just enter:
            ipkg upgrade

            5. Checking the /etc/ipkg directory after that's all done, I've got a couple of new .conf files - you might want to check your system as well and edit any new .conf files as we did in step 2 so that they point at the mirror for the next time you use ipkg.

            6. That's it - job done.

            :)

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "biodiesel_bri" <biodiesel_bri@...> wrote:

            > I'm also having the same problem, specifically this file returns a 404 not found:
            >
            > http://ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos4be/cross/unstable/ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_armeb.ipk
            >
            > -B
          • Brian
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 30, 2010
              Just want to point out that mirrors are subject to change. It's generally not a good idea to point the feed directly at any specific mirror.

              Maybe I'm lucky, I don't have any problem using http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/unslung/cross/unstable/

              -Brian

            • james_robertson2000
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2010
                Absolutely, so this is just a temporary fix. I don't know how long the mirror I have used has been up, nor how long it will remain up. If people make sure that they comment out (rather than delete) the original repositories in the .conf files then they can easily revert to them at any time.

              • oddballhero
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2010
                  Hello,
                  I am not an expert by any means but there does not seem to be a slugos4be anymore, there is a slugos5be. There are two choices, stable and unstable, here is the stable:
                  http://ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/slugos5be/cross/stable/
                  I guess you can try this on your ipkg.con
                  For the unstable, make the appropriate change. I am also getting responses from my posts.