How to copy SLUG drive files to Ubuntu

  • luxobart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2010
      Hi,
      I've had a SLUG server running 2 years ago. Attached to it I had a USB key with OS (as I can recall), and a Maxtor harddrive. I have lost the USB key but I have the SLUG and the Maxtor drive. When I try to connect the SLUG to the LAN, it does not appear on the list of connected devices on the router. Maybe its because I dont have the USB key mounted. I have installed Ubuntu on one of my laptops, and when i connect the SLUG Maxtor to it, it shows all the files, but I cant copy them. It says "permission denied". Its probably because I have created users on the SLUG, and only they can copy the files.

      How can I go around this problem in Ubuntu and copy the files? And what was on the USB key, OS? When I turn the SLUG on, all the LEDs turn as normal and it says this bib sound as it is ready for business, but again, I cant see it on the network.

      I appreciate any help, I have many old pictures there that I want to save.
    • Henry Favretto
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2010
        Hi,

        My guess is you probably need to be root on your Ubuntu box in order to
        access those files. Check your Ubuntu documentation on how to elevate your
        privileges.

        cheers,
        Henry

        > Hi,
        > I've had a SLUG server running 2 years ago. Attached to it I had a USB key
        > with OS (as I can recall), and a Maxtor harddrive. I have lost the USB key
        > but I have the SLUG and the Maxtor drive. When I try to connect the SLUG
        > to the LAN, it does not appear on the list of connected devices on the
        > router. Maybe its because I dont have the USB key mounted. I have
        > installed Ubuntu on one of my laptops, and when i connect the SLUG Maxtor
        > to it, it shows all the files, but I cant copy them. It says "permission
        > denied". Its probably because I have created users on the SLUG, and only
        > they can copy the files.
        >
        > How can I go around this problem in Ubuntu and copy the files? And what
        > was on the USB key, OS? When I turn the SLUG on, all the LEDs turn as
        > normal and it says this bib sound as it is ready for business, but again,
        > I cant see it on the network.
        >
        > I appreciate any help, I have many old pictures there that I want to save.

      • Gavin Cox
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 2010
          Ubuntu doesn't have root by default, you should be able to get root
          privileges by putting sudo in front of your copy command, and entering
          you user password.