Re: [nslu2-general] panic, nslu suddenly dead?

  • matcaley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 21, 2010
      Hi all,
      I have the same problem as coldnan but no replacement power supply (checked
      all devices in my flat but no joy). Following suggestions elsewhere on this
      board I tried to access the files using an Ubuntu live CD. Initially no
      problems, all my files are there however I was not able to open/move them as
      apparently I didn't have permission as I was not the owner of the files.

      Bit of a newbie to Linux and any suggestions of what I have done wrong and
      how to work around this would be much appreciated.

      thanks
      matcaley

    • matcaley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 21, 2010
        Hi all,
        I have the same problem as coldnan but no replacement power supply (checked
        all devices in my flat but no joy). Following suggestions elsewhere on this
        board I tried to access the files using an Ubuntu live CD. Initially no
        problems, all my files are there however I was not able to open/move them as
        apparently I didn't have permission as I was not the owner of the files.

        Bit of a newbie to Linux and any suggestions of what I have done wrong and
        how to work around this would be much appreciated.

        thanks

        matcaley

      • Dennis van Paassen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 21, 2010
          Hi matcalf,

          If you have a windows machine you could try a ext2 driver for windows as
          found on http://www.fs-driver.org/
          then you could mount your ext3 drive as read only so you can acces your
          files.
          I suggest read only because else you could change your config and the drive
          becomes useless.

          btw a new power supply isn't that expensive.

          grtz
          dennis

          2010/7/21 matcaley <m.caley@...>

          > Hi all,
          > I have the same problem as coldnan but no replacement power supply (checked
          > all devices in my flat but no joy). Following suggestions elsewhere on this
          > board I tried to access the files using an Ubuntu live CD. Initially no
          > problems, all my files are there however I was not able to open/move them
          > as
          > apparently I didn't have permission as I was not the owner of the files.
          >
          > Bit of a newbie to Linux and any suggestions of what I have done wrong and
          > how to work around this would be much appreciated.
          >
          > thanks
          >

          > matcaley
          >
          > --

        • matcaley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 23, 2010
            THanks, I tried the drivers and the read only approach and am backing up all
            the data onto another drive.

            Initially I had issues with the ext2 driver as it found but would not mount
            my drive but used the mountdiag.exe program to solve this.

            Panic over

            Matcaley