Re: panic, nslu suddenly dead?

  • coldnan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 19 6:28 AM
      thanks again for helping.
      i had checked that. i got 5.44v no-load and 5.23v under load.
      However, after further investigation, i did notice that after the few seconds when the unit "dies" the voltage dropped below 3v.

      thought there must a a fault dragging down the supply but i tried another power supply and it now seems to work, so job fixed!

      Many thanks for the advice.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Greg Holdren <greghol@...> wrote:

      > coldnan wrote:
      > > thanks for that.
      > > i checked that and i got a healthy 5v supply, so must be something else
      > >

      > The PS wall wart still could still be bad if it measures 5V not plugged
      > in under load. Did you measure the voltage plugged in unplugged?
      >
      > Greg

    • matcaley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 21 4:26 AM
        Hi all,
        I have the same problem as coldnan but no replacement power supply (checked
        all devices in my flat but no joy). Following suggestions elsewhere on this
        board I tried to access the files using an Ubuntu live CD. Initially no
        problems, all my files are there however I was not able to open/move them as
        apparently I didn't have permission as I was not the owner of the files.

        Bit of a newbie to Linux and any suggestions of what I have done wrong and
        how to work around this would be much appreciated.

        thanks
        matcaley

      • matcaley
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 21 9:11 AM
          Hi all,
          I have the same problem as coldnan but no replacement power supply (checked
          all devices in my flat but no joy). Following suggestions elsewhere on this
          board I tried to access the files using an Ubuntu live CD. Initially no
          problems, all my files are there however I was not able to open/move them as
          apparently I didn't have permission as I was not the owner of the files.

          Bit of a newbie to Linux and any suggestions of what I have done wrong and
          how to work around this would be much appreciated.

          thanks

          matcaley

        • Dennis van Paassen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 21 2:36 PM
            Hi matcalf,

            If you have a windows machine you could try a ext2 driver for windows as
            found on http://www.fs-driver.org/
            then you could mount your ext3 drive as read only so you can acces your
            files.
            I suggest read only because else you could change your config and the drive
            becomes useless.

            btw a new power supply isn't that expensive.

            grtz
            dennis

            2010/7/21 matcaley <m.caley@...>

            > Hi all,
            > I have the same problem as coldnan but no replacement power supply (checked
            > all devices in my flat but no joy). Following suggestions elsewhere on this
            > board I tried to access the files using an Ubuntu live CD. Initially no
            > problems, all my files are there however I was not able to open/move them
            > as
            > apparently I didn't have permission as I was not the owner of the files.
            >
            > Bit of a newbie to Linux and any suggestions of what I have done wrong and
            > how to work around this would be much appreciated.
            >
            > thanks
            >

            > matcaley
            >
            > --

          • matcaley
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 23 5:48 AM
              THanks, I tried the drivers and the read only approach and am backing up all
              the data onto another drive.

              Initially I had issues with the ext2 driver as it found but would not mount
              my drive but used the mountdiag.exe program to solve this.

              Panic over

              Matcaley