panic, nslu suddenly dead?

  • coldnan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2010
      Forgive the urgency, and this has probably been answered somewhere else, but i am panicing as i need files that are only accessable from my NSLU2. (Hdrive formatted by NSLU2)

      came home today and the unit had gone off the network.
      when i attempt to power up the power light comes on and ready/status light goes yellow for about 5 seconds then both go off.

      Thats all it does.
      ive tried various combinations of holding the reset button and power button but it looks like the unit has died.

      I have never changed the firmware. it has always been as supplied from the factory and has been running "no problem" for a few years now.

      any assistance would be greatly appreciated

      thanks
    • Dennis van Paassen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 16, 2010
        hello coldnan,

        you could try an other power supply as those seem to die after a couple of
        years,

        grtz

        dennis

        2010/7/16 coldnan <coldnan@...>

        > Forgive the urgency, and this has probably been answered somewhere else,
        > but i am panicing as i need files that are only accessable from my NSLU2.
        > (Hdrive formatted by NSLU2)
        >
        > came home today and the unit had gone off the network.
        > when i attempt to power up the power light comes on and ready/status light
        > goes yellow for about 5 seconds then both go off.
        >
        > Thats all it does.
        > ive tried various combinations of holding the reset button and power button
        > but it looks like the unit has died.
        >
        > I have never changed the firmware. it has always been as supplied from the
        > factory and has been running "no problem" for a few years now.
        >
        > any assistance would be greatly appreciated
        >
        > thanks

      • coldnan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 16, 2010
          thanks for that.
          i checked that and i got a healthy 5v supply, so must be something else

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Dennis van Paassen <dvpaassen@...> wrote:

          > hello coldnan,
          >
          > you could try an other power supply as those seem to die after a couple of
          > years,
          >
          > grtz
          >
          > dennis
          >
          > 2010/7/16 coldnan <coldnan@...>
          >
          > > Forgive the urgency, and this has probably been answered somewhere else,
          > > but i am panicing as i need files that are only accessable from my NSLU2.
          > > (Hdrive formatted by NSLU2)
          > >
          > > came home today and the unit had gone off the network.
          > > when i attempt to power up the power light comes on and ready/status light
          > > goes yellow for about 5 seconds then both go off.
          > >
          > > Thats all it does.
          > > ive tried various combinations of holding the reset button and power button
          > > but it looks like the unit has died.
          > >
          > > I have never changed the firmware. it has always been as supplied from the
          > > factory and has been running "no problem" for a few years now.
          > >
          > > any assistance would be greatly appreciated
          > >
          > > thanks

        • Greg Holdren
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 17, 2010
            coldnan wrote:
            > thanks for that.
            > i checked that and i got a healthy 5v supply, so must be something else

            The PS wall wart still could still be bad if it measures 5V not plugged
            in under load. Did you measure the voltage plugged in unplugged?

            Greg
          • coldnan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 19, 2010
              thanks again for helping.
              i had checked that. i got 5.44v no-load and 5.23v under load.
              However, after further investigation, i did notice that after the few seconds when the unit "dies" the voltage dropped below 3v.

              thought there must a a fault dragging down the supply but i tried another power supply and it now seems to work, so job fixed!

              Many thanks for the advice.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Greg Holdren <greghol@...> wrote:

              > coldnan wrote:
              > > thanks for that.
              > > i checked that and i got a healthy 5v supply, so must be something else
              > >

              > The PS wall wart still could still be bad if it measures 5V not plugged
              > in under load. Did you measure the voltage plugged in unplugged?
              >
              > Greg

            • matcaley
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 21, 2010
                Hi all,
                I have the same problem as coldnan but no replacement power supply (checked
                all devices in my flat but no joy). Following suggestions elsewhere on this
                board I tried to access the files using an Ubuntu live CD. Initially no
                problems, all my files are there however I was not able to open/move them as
                apparently I didn't have permission as I was not the owner of the files.

                Bit of a newbie to Linux and any suggestions of what I have done wrong and
                how to work around this would be much appreciated.

                thanks
                matcaley

              • matcaley

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 21, 2010
                    Hi matcalf,

                    If you have a windows machine you could try a ext2 driver for windows as
                    found on http://www.fs-driver.org/
                    then you could mount your ext3 drive as read only so you can acces your
                    files.
                    I suggest read only because else you could change your config and the drive
                    becomes useless.

                    btw a new power supply isn't that expensive.

                    grtz
                    dennis

                    2010/7/21 matcaley <m.caley@...>

                    > Hi all,
                    > I have the same problem as coldnan but no replacement power supply (checked
                    > all devices in my flat but no joy). Following suggestions elsewhere on this
                    > board I tried to access the files using an Ubuntu live CD. Initially no
                    > problems, all my files are there however I was not able to open/move them
                    > as
                    > apparently I didn't have permission as I was not the owner of the files.
                    >
                    > Bit of a newbie to Linux and any suggestions of what I have done wrong and
                    > how to work around this would be much appreciated.
                    >
                    > thanks
                    >

                    > matcaley
                    >
                    > --

                  • matcaley
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 23, 2010
                      THanks, I tried the drivers and the read only approach and am backing up all
                      the data onto another drive.

                      Initially I had issues with the ext2 driver as it found but would not mount
                      my drive but used the mountdiag.exe program to solve this.

                      Panic over

                      Matcaley