Asus RT-N16

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
      Does anyone know if a router like the Asus RT-N16 would work as a NSLU2 replacement? I know it can run servers such as nfs, and samba. What I don't know is if it can run a wider range of applications like the NSLU2 can run with debian installed and still function as a wireless router.

      Bill
    • Carl Lowenstein
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
        On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Bill <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know if a router like the Asus RT-N16 would work as a NSLU2 replacement? I know it can run servers such as nfs, and samba. What I don't know is if it can run a wider range of applications like the NSLU2 can run with debian installed and still function as a wireless router.

        You might want to look at dd-wrt, which seems to work for the RT-N16 nowadays.

        http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61570

        carl
        --
        carl lowenstein  <clowenstein@...>
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2010
          Yes, I am familiar with DD-WRT, I use it on all my routers. But I find that DD-WRT is rather limited, compared to debian on an NSLU2. I have yet to find a way to install arbitrary Linux packages under DD-WRT. The webserver under DD-WRT, is thttpd, which does not implement fetching byte ranges of files, so it is hopelessly inadequate for tasks like serving up video files.

          I've seen vague references to ports of NSLU2 packages to run under DD-WRT, but I have yet to find a where to obtain these ports, how to install them, and how to build my own.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2010
            Silly me, I just found it in the 5th page of my google search:

            http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware

            The instructions are a bit confusing, because they go write into how to install particular packages, without first saying what you need to install... But it looks like if I follow the instructions up to installing ipkg, I can then install any package that has been ported.
            That includes just about everything I need:

            http://ipkg2.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ddwrt/cross/stable/