Help setting up Wordpress

  • kevindfrye@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 7:14 PM
      I have a slug that was sitting around a few years that I have unslung, loaded, mysql, php, apache, etc. on and have a publicly accessible domain that points to it. This all works.

      I followed the instructions on the wordpress website for installation and reached the point of running the /wp-admin/install.php file. The file simply won't run. At first I didn't have apache loading php but I resolved that. I can load the phpinfo() and see all the specifics. mysql shows up on this as well. I have a book for php & mysql that I used to write a test mysql page. This also returns a blank page (from firefox it is blank, on IE I get a server 500 error). I turned php errors on but I see no errors.

      any thoughts? I don't know what other troubleshooting steps to take...

      Thanks in advance!!
    • c c
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1 11:57 PM
        whats the permissions on the install.php file ??

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 2:25 PM
          Originally the permissions were too limited and I would get an access denied
          message.
          I went all the way up the chain setting all folders and the filles in my
          webroot to 755 and even 777.
          The only thing that changed was instead of getting the access denied I get
          blank pages.
          It seems obvious that there is either a permissions issue or a PHP error.
          When I run the test page it returns all the php, apache, and mysql settings.
          Html files also display properly.

        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3 1:19 PM
            In message
            <AANLkTinJPAAO6LdVhmjGfa1OxIMmVJy_pzBmubc7RiFR@...>, Kevin
            Frye <kevindfrye@...> writes

            >Originally the permissions were too limited and I would get an access
            >denied
            >message.
            >I went all the way up the chain setting all folders and the filles in my
            >webroot to 755 and even 777.
            >The only thing that changed was instead of getting the access denied I get
            >blank pages.
            >It seems obvious that there is either a permissions issue or a PHP error.
            >When I run the test page it returns all the php, apache, and mysql
            >settings.
            >Html files also display properly.

            The following web page contains some scripts that can be used to set the
            correct file permissions for web pages:-

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver

            I have wordpress working just fine on my slug, I think that I had to
            increase some memory limits in the php config file for it to work.

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA