recover from lost password.

  • cathy_jeroen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2010
      Hi 2 mounths ago I unsluged my nslu2.
      Everything went pretty well. I attached a 4 gb usb stick to port2, and even installed my OS on it.
      Al worked fine. I even installed ssh on it, and was able to acces my slug bij www,telnet and ssh.
      Now 3 mounths later, not being able to play with it for 3 mounths, i'm trying to login and...... seem to have forgotten the login name and password voor telnet and ssh.
      De web interface is accessable, and i even can login with admin account to open telnet.
      I'm a idiot!
      Removing my 4 gb drive and rebooting it, gives me a www interface stating i booted from internal flash, but when i enable my telnet in the interface and telnet to my slug, again its asking me about a login name and passwd.
      Any options to recover? Or did i brick my slug? Data on my 4 gb usb is not important, and may be cleaned.
      Any change by reflashing my slug? by doing a reset methode?
      Help! i'm pretty much unhappy about being a idiot..
      thanks for any information
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2010
        In message <ht6s5e+koqb@...>, cathy_jeroen
        <cathy_jeroen@...> writes
        >Hi 2 mounths ago I unsluged my nslu2.
        >Everything went pretty well. I attached a 4 gb usb stick to port2, and
        >even installed my OS on it.
        >Al worked fine. I even installed ssh on it, and was able to acces my
        >slug bij www,telnet and ssh.
        >Now 3 mounths later, not being able to play with it for 3 mounths, i'm
        >trying to login and...... seem to have forgotten the login name and
        >password voor telnet and ssh.
        >De web interface is accessable, and i even can login with admin account
        >to open telnet.
        >I'm a idiot!
        >Removing my 4 gb drive and rebooting it, gives me a www interface
        >stating i booted from internal flash, but when i enable my telnet in
        >the interface and telnet to my slug, again its asking me about a login
        >name and passwd.
        >Any options to recover? Or did i brick my slug? Data on my 4 gb usb is
        >not important, and may be cleaned.
        >Any change by reflashing my slug? by doing a reset methode?
        >Help! i'm pretty much unhappy about being a idiot..
        >thanks for any information

        You can always recover a slug broken in this way by booting the slug
        without any disk and then logging in with telnet and the default
        user/password.

        From memory I think that the sequence is :-
        1. Firstly shut down your slug and remove any disks
        2. Boot up your slug
        3. Enable telnet using the management web page
        4. Telnet into your slug using the default user and password which is
        root and uNSLUng

        At this point you can hot plug in any disks and once they are mounted
        will enable you to navigate to the disks and fix the broken password
        file. Unfortunately I cannot give you any help with this, but be
        careful not to accidentally change the default password file located in
        the flash memory..

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2010
          Thanks for the tip!
          Up and running!!!!
          thanks again.

          ps It seems that the 4 gb usb had two partions, 1 of 3.7 gb and one of 200 mb.
          Both seem to have a /etc/passwd file.
          Any idee what this little partition is doing there?

          Jeroen Voss & Cathy Smet

          www.voss.be

          ________________________________
          >Everything went pretty well. I attached a 4 gb usb stick to port2, and
          >even installed my OS on it.
          >Al worked fine. I even installed ssh on it, and was able to acces my
          >slug bij www,telnet and ssh.
          >Now 3 mounths later, not being able to play with it for 3 mounths, i'm
          >trying to login and...... seem to have forgotten the login name and
          >password voor telnet and ssh.
          >De web interface is accessable, and i even can login with admin account
          >to open telnet.
          >I'm a idiot!
          >Removing my 4 gb drive and rebooting it, gives me a www interface
          >stating i booted from internal flash, but when i enable my telnet in
          >the interface and telnet to my slug, again its asking me about a login
          >name and passwd.
          >Any options to recover? Or did i brick my slug? Data on my 4 gb usb is
          >not important, and may be cleaned.
          >Any change by reflashing my slug? by doing a reset methode?
          >Help! i'm pretty much unhappy about being a idiot..
          >thanks for any information

          You can always recover a slug broken in this way by booting the slug
          without any disk and then logging in with telnet and the default
          user/password.

          From memory I think that the sequence is :-
          1. Firstly shut down your slug and remove any disks
          2. Boot up your slug
          3. Enable telnet using the management web page
          4. Telnet into your slug using the default user and password which is
          root and uNSLUng

          At this point you can hot plug in any disks and once they are mounted
          will enable you to navigate to the disks and fix the broken password
          file. Unfortunately I cannot give you any help with this, but be
          careful not to accidentally change the default password file located in
          the flash memory..

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          592B 0199 2D7F FC05 C4B1 0404 2258 4471 1541 44DA

        • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
          Message 4 of 4 , May 22, 2010
            cathy_jeroen wrote:
            > Thanks for the tip!
            > Up and running!!!!
            > thanks again.
            >
            > ps It seems that the 4 gb usb had two partions, 1 of 3.7 gb and one of 200 mb.
            > Both seem to have a /etc/passwd file.
            > Any idee what this little partition is doing there?

            Just house-keeping data for the Linksys software.

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/WhatIsANativeUnslungDisk

            -Mike (mwester)