Re: SlugOS 5.3 / Samba / Roaming profiles

  • Harsh
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2010
      Yeah its useful because I dont sweat it to leave the slug running all day since it consumes so little power. I also like the fact that I can create custom logon.bat scripts for each user so my wife/folks each have a nice network mapped drive as soon as they logon to Windows and their bookmarks, desktop customizations transparently move to any machine they log onto just like an office network. I re-image my desktop/laptop often and its a royal pain to re-setup browser bookmarks, app customizations, etc.

      The only downside I've got right now is, my 1TB FreeAgent that I plugged into it is getting some serious read errors. First I thought it might have been a spindown problem but it turns out there are 2 issues at play here:

      1. The drive automatically spins down to save power/wear every 5 mins but this can be switched off with a seagate utility [Fixed]
      2. The USB controller itself causes frequent I/O errors on my configuration. Apparently this is a problem common to Linux distributions in general according to this : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/61235/. Theres a block device parameter called 'max_sectors' that appears to influence the problem (works for some people). I tried it but it only delays the problem on my slug and doesnt quite fix it. If anyone has a solution to point 2 I'd really appreciate some insight into it.

      Thanks,