Re: cups 1.4.2-1 on WD mybook world edition II

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25 10:35 PM
      I took a quick look. This /opt/lib/modules/printer.o is a kernel module for NSLU2 unslung firmware. It really does not belong in the cups package. But it has been there since the very beginning. I just made a change to remove this binary from the package. The reason you were able to use cups 1.3.11 was that it does not use /opt/lib/modules/printer.o at all.

      On any platform other than NSLU2 unslung, you should make sure the corresponding kernel module is either built-in or loaded. If the NAS supports printer, then very likely you already have that kernel module loaded.

      -Brian

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Greg Newton <greg.newton@...> wrote:

      > I recently attempted upgrade from cups 1.3.11-1 to 1.4.2-1 - however after the
      > upgrade the cups daemon script fails at line "insmod
      > /opt/lib/modules/printer.o", giving the error "insmod: cannot insert
      > `/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error"
      > and cupsd itself gives
      > "Segmentation fault"
      >
      > I would VERY happily downgrade back to 1.3.11-1, however there doesn't seem to
      > be a package archive anywhere.
      >
      > Can anyone help me to either:
      >
      > 1) Get 1.4.2-1 working; or
      > 2) reinstall 1.3.11-1; or
      > 3) rebuild the module so it will load on my system?
      >
      > I have an Ubuntu linux box available for cross-compilation if necessary, or can
      > attempt a native build (so far my attempts fail due to missing floating point
      > libraries).
      >
      > TIA,
      > Greg
      > |;^)
      >

      > [root@ ~]# ipkg install cups cups-doc
      > Installing cups (1.4.2-1) to /opt/...
      > Downloading
      > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/gumstix1151/cross/unstable/cups_1.4.2-1_arm.ipk
      > Installing cups-doc (1.4.2-1) to /opt/...
      > Downloading
      > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/gumstix1151/cross/unstable/cups-doc_1.4.2-1_arm.ipk
      > Configuring cups
      > Configuring cups-doc
      > Successfully terminated.
      > [root@ ~]# /opt/etc/init.d/S88cups
      > insmod: cannot insert `/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': Invalid module format (-1):
      > Exec format error
      > Segmentation fault
      > [root@mybookworld ~]# uname -a
      > Linux mybookworld 2.6.17.14 #1 PREEMPT Fri Jan 18 10:40:25 GMT 2008 armv5tejl
      > GNU/Linux
      > [root@ ~]# lsmod
      > Module Size Used by Not tainted
      > power_button 3744 0
      > nls_cp437 5696 0
      > usb_storage 34532 0
      > usblp 12512 0
      > ehci_oxnas 30472 0
      > usbcore 123492 4 usb_storage,usblp,ehci_oxnas
      > i2c_oxnas_bitbash 2592 0
      > i2c_algo_bit 8968 1 i2c_oxnas_bitbash
      > m41t00 4100 0
      > i2c_core 19184 2 i2c_algo_bit,m41t00
      > wdc_fan 3116 0
      > wdc_leds 10720 0

    • eman mohmed
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26 4:54 PM
        thanks

      • Greg Newton
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28 1:44 AM
          Hi Brian.

          I'm not sure I understand fully. There is still a seg fault when trying to
          start cupsd.

          [root@... ~]# ls -l /opt/sbin/cupsd
          -r-x------ 1 root root 370836 Mar 28 05:11 /opt/sbin/cupsd
          [root@... ~]# /opt/sbin/cupsd
          Segmentation fault

          I don't know where to start looking for the cause of that - any tips?

          Do you build the packages? I've made a basic attempt to build natively but
          linking fails due to lack of floating point support. I lack the experience
          to debug this, I think.

          Cheers,
          Greg |;^)