cups 1.4.2-1 on WD mybook world edition II

  • Greg Newton
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2010
      I recently attempted upgrade from cups 1.3.11-1 to 1.4.2-1 - however after the
      upgrade the cups daemon script fails at line "insmod
      /opt/lib/modules/printer.o", giving the error "insmod: cannot insert
      `/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error"
      and cupsd itself gives
      "Segmentation fault"

      I would VERY happily downgrade back to 1.3.11-1, however there doesn't seem to
      be a package archive anywhere.

      Can anyone help me to either:

      1) Get 1.4.2-1 working; or
      2) reinstall 1.3.11-1; or
      3) rebuild the module so it will load on my system?

      I have an Ubuntu linux box available for cross-compilation if necessary, or can
      attempt a native build (so far my attempts fail due to missing floating point
      libraries).

      TIA,
      Greg
      |;^)

      [root@ ~]# ipkg install cups cups-doc
      Installing cups (1.4.2-1) to /opt/...
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/gumstix1151/cross/unstable/cups_1.4.2-1_arm.ipk
      Installing cups-doc (1.4.2-1) to /opt/...
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/gumstix1151/cross/unstable/cups-doc_1.4.2-1_arm.ipk
      Configuring cups
      Configuring cups-doc
      Successfully terminated.
      [root@ ~]# /opt/etc/init.d/S88cups
      insmod: cannot insert `/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': Invalid module format (-1):
      Exec format error
      Segmentation fault
      [root@mybookworld ~]# uname -a
      Linux mybookworld 2.6.17.14 #1 PREEMPT Fri Jan 18 10:40:25 GMT 2008 armv5tejl
      GNU/Linux
      [root@ ~]# lsmod
      Module Size Used by Not tainted
      power_button 3744 0
      nls_cp437 5696 0
      usb_storage 34532 0
      usblp 12512 0
      ehci_oxnas 30472 0
      usbcore 123492 4 usb_storage,usblp,ehci_oxnas
      i2c_oxnas_bitbash 2592 0
      i2c_algo_bit 8968 1 i2c_oxnas_bitbash
      m41t00 4100 0
      i2c_core 19184 2 i2c_algo_bit,m41t00
      wdc_fan 3116 0
      wdc_leds 10720 0
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2010
        I took a quick look. This /opt/lib/modules/printer.o is a kernel module for NSLU2 unslung firmware. It really does not belong in the cups package. But it has been there since the very beginning. I just made a change to remove this binary from the package. The reason you were able to use cups 1.3.11 was that it does not use /opt/lib/modules/printer.o at all.

        On any platform other than NSLU2 unslung, you should make sure the corresponding kernel module is either built-in or loaded. If the NAS supports printer, then very likely you already have that kernel module loaded.

        -Brian

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Greg Newton <greg.newton@...> wrote:

        > I recently attempted upgrade from cups 1.3.11-1 to 1.4.2-1 - however after the
        > upgrade the cups daemon script fails at line "insmod
        > /opt/lib/modules/printer.o", giving the error "insmod: cannot insert
        > `/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error"
        > and cupsd itself gives
        > "Segmentation fault"
        >
        > I would VERY happily downgrade back to 1.3.11-1, however there doesn't seem to
        > be a package archive anywhere.
        >
        > Can anyone help me to either:
        >
        > 1) Get 1.4.2-1 working; or
        > 2) reinstall 1.3.11-1; or
        > 3) rebuild the module so it will load on my system?
        >
        > I have an Ubuntu linux box available for cross-compilation if necessary, or can
        > attempt a native build (so far my attempts fail due to missing floating point
        > libraries).
        >
        > TIA,
        > Greg
        > |;^)
        >

        > [root@ ~]# ipkg install cups cups-doc
        > Installing cups (1.4.2-1) to /opt/...
        > Downloading
        > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/gumstix1151/cross/unstable/cups_1.4.2-1_arm.ipk
        > Installing cups-doc (1.4.2-1) to /opt/...
        > Downloading
        > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/gumstix1151/cross/unstable/cups-doc_1.4.2-1_arm.ipk
        > Configuring cups
        > Configuring cups-doc
        > Successfully terminated.
        > [root@ ~]# /opt/etc/init.d/S88cups
        > insmod: cannot insert `/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': Invalid module format (-1):
        > Exec format error
        > Segmentation fault
        > [root@mybookworld ~]# uname -a
        > Linux mybookworld 2.6.17.14 #1 PREEMPT Fri Jan 18 10:40:25 GMT 2008 armv5tejl
        > GNU/Linux
        > [root@ ~]# lsmod
        > Module Size Used by Not tainted
        > power_button 3744 0
        > nls_cp437 5696 0
        > usb_storage 34532 0
        > usblp 12512 0
        > ehci_oxnas 30472 0
        > usbcore 123492 4 usb_storage,usblp,ehci_oxnas
        > i2c_oxnas_bitbash 2592 0
        > i2c_algo_bit 8968 1 i2c_oxnas_bitbash
        > m41t00 4100 0
        > i2c_core 19184 2 i2c_algo_bit,m41t00
        > wdc_fan 3116 0
        > wdc_leds 10720 0

      • eman mohmed
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 26, 2010
          thanks

        • Greg Newton
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2010
            Hi Brian.

            I'm not sure I understand fully. There is still a seg fault when trying to
            start cupsd.

            [root@... ~]# ls -l /opt/sbin/cupsd
            -r-x------ 1 root root 370836 Mar 28 05:11 /opt/sbin/cupsd
            [root@... ~]# /opt/sbin/cupsd
            Segmentation fault

            I don't know where to start looking for the cause of that - any tips?

            Do you build the packages? I've made a basic attempt to build natively but
            linking fails due to lack of floating point support. I lack the experience
            to debug this, I think.

            Cheers,
            Greg |;^)