memory problem - mine, not the slug's

  • stovepipe_bender
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2010
      Here's the deal. A year and a half ago I set up a lighttpd webserver using a 320gb external usb drive. I can't really say I understood what I was doing - I followed a tutorial, somewhere, got it going, plugged it into a battery backup and then forgot about it. It's done great in that time.

      Then last night it got unplugged while my son was prepping to paint the basement, and wouldn't reboot afterward.

      I pulled the hard drive and attached it to my linux laptop. It came up with both partitions looking healthy. I ran fsck -C on both, and it found no problems.

      The drive is powered over the USB line, and I have read that the slug power supplies sometimes lose their cojones after a while, so I found and hooked up a different power supply today. There is a difference - the original PS just made the hard drive go click, click, click and flash the light. Couldn't spin it up from a dead stop, I think. The replacement PS spins the HD and gives a constant activity light. Also when powering up the slug, it looks like the normal behavior from what I seem to remember - the lights do their flashing sequence at first, but eventually all you get is a glowing ethernet light.

      It doesn't respond to its old IP address, but when I try to ping *any* address, I can see the ethernet light flickers. So it's connected to the network and minimally responsive.

      So now I'm trying to figure out whether the thing is recoverable without reinstalling everything from scratch. I don't know what the status of my slug is; has it reverted to its stock behavior or something? is that even possible? Also, I don't even know what firmware I originally used.

      The good news is, I'm quite sure no files have been lost. I've backed them up elsewhere today to be extra sure. I guess I want to proceed under the assumption that the slug is okay with its new power supply.

      Where can I go from here? Might there be a clue somewhere in the filesystem as to what I did back in 2008? I'm kicking myself for not taking notes.
    • stovepipe_bender
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2010
        I ended up "scorching the earth" - using the reset button to go into upgrade mode, doing a fresh debian install from there, and then restoring web contents from backups. Not a big deal, and it refreshed my own familiarity with the process.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "stovepipe_bender" <quux@...> wrote:

        > Here's the deal. A year and a half ago I set up a lighttpd webserver using a 320gb external usb drive. I can't really say I understood what I was doing - I followed a tutorial, somewhere, got it going, plugged it into a battery backup and then forgot about it. It's done great in that time.
        >
        > Then last night it got unplugged while my son was prepping to paint the basement, and wouldn't reboot afterward.
        >
        > I pulled the hard drive and attached it to my linux laptop. It came up with both partitions looking healthy. I ran fsck -C on both, and it found no problems.
        >
        > The drive is powered over the USB line, and I have read that the slug power supplies sometimes lose their cojones after a while, so I found and hooked up a different power supply today. There is a difference - the original PS just made the hard drive go click, click, click and flash the light. Couldn't spin it up from a dead stop, I think. The replacement PS spins the HD and gives a constant activity light. Also when powering up the slug, it looks like the normal behavior from what I seem to remember - the lights do their flashing sequence at first, but eventually all you get is a glowing ethernet light.
        >
        > It doesn't respond to its old IP address, but when I try to ping *any* address, I can see the ethernet light flickers. So it's connected to the network and minimally responsive.
        >
        > So now I'm trying to figure out whether the thing is recoverable without reinstalling everything from scratch. I don't know what the status of my slug is; has it reverted to its stock behavior or something? is that even possible? Also, I don't even know what firmware I originally used.
        >
        > The good news is, I'm quite sure no files have been lost. I've backed them up elsewhere today to be extra sure. I guess I want to proceed under the assumption that the slug is okay with its new power supply.
        >
        > Where can I go from here? Might there be a clue somewhere in the filesystem as to what I did back in 2008? I'm kicking myself for not taking notes.

      • Paul Carmichael
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2010
          I had the same thing happen. After a power-cut, the external drive just kept clicking. Thought it must be the drive enclosure, so replaced it. Ok for a while, then more problems. Basically, the USB port has gone wonky. I now have a printer attached to that port and that works fine. The other port has the boot stick. I bought a bifferboard to use as a NAS. It only uses 1W. Downside is I've used all 4 ethernet ports on my router.