Re: [nslu2-general] Digest Number 147

  • Tim Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2005
      unix fan wrote:

      > I used one 700MB file (CD images work great) as a
      > speed test. These are my fairly consistent numbers,
      > using stock 2.39 firmware:

      This gives a fairly rough estimate. I think if we
      want to get real numbers, we need to get ttcp or the
      equilvalent on the NSLU2 and take measurements.

      > Writing FROM NSLU2 to local WinXP IDE drive:
      > 160 secs = 4.375 MegaBytes/sec
      >
      > Writing FROM local drive TO NSLU2:
      > 180 secs = 3.89 MegaBytes/sec
      >
      > This is with the NSLU2 connected via a 100Mbit second
      > switch.

      Yes, that's exactly the behavior that I get with my
      NSLU2 using the same network setup.

      For those that are interested, I also recently
      purchased a Buffalo LinkStation. What I found
      out about it so far is that its performance
      is quite a bit overhyped - it is not much faster
      than the NSLU2. The numbers I get are:

      6.4 MegaBytes/sec from the LinkStation to a client machine
      4.8 MegaBytes/sec from a client machine to the LinkStation

      One thing to keep in mind is that all these network
      appliances right now are quite a bit slower than writing
      directly from a PC to a PC. If you're looking for that
      kind of performance, consider actually using a PC.

      - Tim