Re: [nslu2-general] hwclock: can't open '/dev/misc/rtc'

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2010
      enso wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have problem to setup the hardware clock on my SlugOS/BE 5.3 (2.6.27.28)
      > When I run hwclock I get
      > hwclock: can't open '/dev/misc/rtc': No such file or directory
      >
      > It look's like device doesn't exist because in dmesg I have
      > dmesg | grep rtc
      > drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
      >
      > and as well trc(rtc0) is not in /dev/ folder
      >
      > I tried
      > mknod /dev/rtc c 254 0
      > which doesn't work as well.
      >
      > Funny is, when I run the same SlugOS (remove system USB key) on my second
      > NSLU2 everything works perfectly.
      >
      > Any ideas?

      There are many cases reported where the RTC for the NSLU2 fails for some
      reason or another (see the mailing list archives). IIRC, you will have
      to open up the device, and remove and/or replace the battery on the
      circuit board to make the RTC work again.

      -Mike (mwester)
    • enso
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2010
        There are many cases reported where the RTC for the NSLU2 fails for some
        reason or another (see the mailing list archives). IIRC, you will have
        to open up the device, and remove and/or replace the battery on the
        circuit board to make the RTC work again.

        -Mike (mwester)

        Hi Mike,
        Thanks for reply...
        Honestly, I tried to reset the RTC by removing the battery (for 2 hours)
        (even before I wrote to the forum) but it doesn't help.
        Now, I tried to measure the voltage (Vbat) directly on chip and thatway I
        pulled the residential voltage (of some capacitors) down and when I connect
        the battery back, it works perfectly.
        BTW: The real clock chip is ISL12026IBZ...

        Thanks ;)