Iomega iConnect Wireless Station

  • James Todd
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
      Interesting product from the CES; it could be a SLUG on steroids:

      http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10424491-269.html?tag=mncol;txt
      <http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10424491-269.html?tag=mncol;txt>

    • docbillnet
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2010
        Definitely sounds interesting. Although, I would like to know about what it is running inside, and how easy it would be to flash something different. For example, my media is currently all index by web pages to be served by apache. While having a UPnP server sounds interesting, the one's I have tried in the past could not deliver the same rich content without out considerable effort on my part. So naturally my #1 requirement is to be able to run either apache or something equivalent. The other service I really depend on my NSLU2's for is dnsmasq. But if necessary I could always run that on one of my wireless routers.

        More importantly, I would not want something that would lock me into proprietary firmware. Most vendors go out of business or end of life consumer products way too soon.

        Bill