Re: performance - SMB

  • sszretter
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
      I did some testing with dd reading and writing to the drive, I saw numbers of 7.1 and 10.9MB/s , so that seems pretty good?

      Copying one of the video files across to a windows machine (2 hour movie - 1gig), ifconfig shows no dropped packets or other errors.

      I am streaming to an xbox running xbmc. It has worked great for a long time when streaming from a windows tower - same cables / switches.

      I did get somewhat decent performance by shutting down extra stuff - I had apache and rtorrent running. Without those, it at least stays playing the whole 1-2 hours, but I still had some jitters which I did not before...

      Maybe I should run a different distro? I am running the latest debian, is there something else that is better in peoples experience?

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "colinnwn" <colin@...> wrote:

      > As I recall, when hard wired to a switch that the client was also on, my NSLU2 could transfer data at about 50 mbit/sec when it was clocked at 266 mhz, while also running several other services. That is plenty fast to stream video. Is your client wireless, or wired?

    • SSzretter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
        My network is all wired,100base. My tests were running at 2.5 to 4 MB I
        believe. But it is as if something else is happening at some point to
        interrupt it while streaming...

      • Henry Favretto
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
          As an xbox user I *highly* recommend installing the latest ccxstream
          package on your slug and attaching your xbmc sources through xbmsp.

          I've been streaming all sorts of media for years with xbmc (running on
          xbox + pc) without any problems - even though I'm still using an old
          133MHz slug running a transmission daemon and other stuff at the same
          time.

          See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Ccxstream?from=Unslung.Ccxstream

          Good luck!