Re: performance - SMB

  • colinnwn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
      As I recall, when hard wired to a switch that the client was also on, my NSLU2 could transfer data at about 50 mbit/sec when it was clocked at 266 mhz, while also running several other services. That is plenty fast to stream video. Is your client wireless, or wired?
    • docbillnet
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
        1-2 GB divx doesn't really tell us much. If it is 1-2 GB and 15 minutes worth of video it is fairly high def, and your NSLU2 probably can not handle it. If it 1-2 GB and a couple of hours worth of video, I would think that would be fine. I have my NSLU2 over clocked as well. I then stream the files over wifi. If I see stuttering or such I usually blame the wifi connection. But I have found about 1200 kbps (+384 kbps for audio) seems to be the magical rate. If I encode my videos at a higher bit rate, I am more likely to notice skips and such. Although I have successfully played high definition videos at 2400 kbps, I just can't do it consistently.

        The other consideration is the client. The normal windows samba drivers are not well optimized. They add significant overhead. They also seem a bit flaky. It is not uncommon to see my samba transfer rates under Windows Vista to drop by a factor 10. e.g. I'll copy a file to my external drive that should take about 10 minutes and it will decide that day it will take 100 minutes.

        I do much better using NFS or streaming HTTP.

        However, some devices such as Network Media Tanks have very well optimized drivers. Movies play the same on my NMT regardless if I use NFS, Samba, or HTTP. So I typically stream my movies to my media player using HTTP (apache), because it allows me to directly access the files from a web menu.

        Bill

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, SSzretter <sszretter@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for some feedback/advice - I put this NSLU2 in place of an
        > energy hog windows tower since it's primary purpose was for samba
        > sharing. So the new NSLU2 works ok, I get pretty decent throughput, but
        > I find for some reason I am no longer able to reliably stream video (1-2gb
        > divx files). Usually the video will start and play for a while - could be
        > 5 minutes, could be 30 minutes, then it gets jumpy, or stops/hangs. I never
        > had this problem with the tower.
        >
        > The NSLU2 has the resistor removed so it is running at 266, and I am running
        > debian on it. The drive with the video has noatime set, and is ext2. The
        > only extra I installed is ftp. I think I have it pretty well optimized,
        > so it seems like it should be more reliable.
        >
        > Any thoughts or advice?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • sszretter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
          I did some testing with dd reading and writing to the drive, I saw numbers of 7.1 and 10.9MB/s , so that seems pretty good?

          Copying one of the video files across to a windows machine (2 hour movie - 1gig), ifconfig shows no dropped packets or other errors.

          I am streaming to an xbox running xbmc. It has worked great for a long time when streaming from a windows tower - same cables / switches.

          I did get somewhat decent performance by shutting down extra stuff - I had apache and rtorrent running. Without those, it at least stays playing the whole 1-2 hours, but I still had some jitters which I did not before...

          Maybe I should run a different distro? I am running the latest debian, is there something else that is better in peoples experience?

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "colinnwn" <colin@...> wrote:

          > As I recall, when hard wired to a switch that the client was also on, my NSLU2 could transfer data at about 50 mbit/sec when it was clocked at 266 mhz, while also running several other services. That is plenty fast to stream video. Is your client wireless, or wired?

        • SSzretter
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
            My network is all wired,100base. My tests were running at 2.5 to 4 MB I
            believe. But it is as if something else is happening at some point to
            interrupt it while streaming...

          • Henry Favretto
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
              As an xbox user I *highly* recommend installing the latest ccxstream
              package on your slug and attaching your xbmc sources through xbmsp.

              I've been streaming all sorts of media for years with xbmc (running on
              xbox + pc) without any problems - even though I'm still using an old
              133MHz slug running a transmission daemon and other stuff at the same
              time.

              See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Ccxstream?from=Unslung.Ccxstream

              Good luck!