Crashes with latest rtorrent 0.8.6 plus howto retrieve older apks?

  • reqman@freemail.gr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
      Hello all and a happy new year!

      I've been happily using (again) rtorrent on my Maxtor MSS II for the last 3-4 months, instead of enhanced-ctorrent. The reason I avoided rtorrent was the fact that it did not have an option to preallocate files. This feature was added to rtorrent and on September 2009 an apk with this new functionality was available in optware, leading to much less fragmented files. Worked like a charm on rtorrent/libtorrent 0.8.5/0.12.5. At that time I confirmed that preallocation worked, but did not do much downloads.

      I started some heavy downloading right after rtorrent/libtorrent was upgraded in optware to versions 0.8.6/0.12.6. Ever since, I've been downloaded torrents with ludicrously fast speeds (~630 kbytes, at the limit of my 6Mbps line), unseen previously. Guess I was not a heavy user and/or did not encounter up to that point torrents with good seed/leech ratios. Problem is that after reaching these top speeds, rtorrent has managed to consistently crash again and again. In some cases it managed to turn my MSS II off!

      Some questions to all:

      1) Is there some way one can locate .apk files older than the currently available ones? I'd certainly would like to see whether the previous rtorrent/libtorrent (ie 0.8.5/0.12.5) which was available during October, also crashes under heavy load.

      2) Has anyone experienced these problems with the latest rtorrent versions?

      Thank you in advance for any information provided!
    • reqman@freemail.gr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2010
        *BUMP*

        Can someone please provide some for the following (at least)? I want to download rtorrent and libtorrent but not the currently available in optware versions; rather some older ones (the previous versions to be precise).

        Any hints/info someone?

        > 1) Is there some way one can locate .apk files older than the currently available ones? I'd certainly would like to see whether the previous rtorrent/libtorrent (ie 0.8.5/0.12.5) which was available during October, also crashes under heavy load.
      • kaputnikgo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 26, 2010
          Hi there, i've been using rtorrent on the nslu for about 2 years now and have noticed that it can manage only 5 to 6 torrents before getting a segmentation fault error and crashing. It also has this problem if one of the files is large, say 20gb plus. Bandwidth is good for download but uploads have to be capped to 80-90% of available. Otherwise the little slugger just falls over, it is only using a usb connected laptop hard drive after all.

          I also looked for an older compiled version but couldn't (the latest version has zero'd all the console rates so its hard to know what its doing) but i will keep an eye out.
          yours
          Kaputnik

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, reqman@... wrote:

          > *BUMP*
          >
          > Can someone please provide some for the following (at least)? I want to download rtorrent and libtorrent but not the currently available in optware versions; rather some older ones (the previous versions to be precise).
          >
          > Any hints/info someone?
          >

          > > 1) Is there some way one can locate .apk files older than the currently available ones? I'd certainly would like to see whether the previous rtorrent/libtorrent (ie 0.8.5/0.12.5) which was available during October, also crashes under heavy load.

        • docbillnet
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2010
            I've never managed to keep torrents running for long on my NSLU2. I've always attributed to having insufficient memory or such. Generally when I want to run a torrent on my NSLU2 I wrap the process in a script that keeps looping after each crash.

            However, in general I usually avoid doing torrents on my NSLU2 because I haven't figured out a good way to automate bandwidth limitations and to keep track of sharing ratios across crashes. So when I run torrents on my NSLU2 I end-up being a leach big time. As soon as I have a complete download that is the end of the sharing process. When I run the torrent from an interactive desktop, provided what I downloaded is worthwhile, I can continue sharing until my upload to download ratio is well above 1.

            Bill