Re: Automount NTFS

  • chris_jaz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hi Mike,

      That is what i tried (doing it manually) and it didnt work.

      However after searching a little, am i supposed to be editing the mount.sh with my slugos usb pen inserted, or the mount.sh file without my usb pen inserted?

      You say that automount will be removed, does this mean theres another way of achieving what i require?

      I dont really see how it can be a useful tool without the automounting of drives, as i wouldnt want to log in and mount stuff everytime i turn it on. I know the idea is to leave it on all the time but thats not possible at the moment.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

      > chris_jaz wrote:
      > > Hi, Sorry,
      > > This is the wiki link
      > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AutoMountNTFSDrives
      > >
      > > And the errors i got, the first one was bad.src which i believe means bad source file (although the dates etc matched the ones at top of the patch), and the second time was a error at line 15. But i wasnt sure if that was line 15 of the patch or line 15 of mounts.sh
      > >
      > > Im quite new to linux, so i dont even know if i was trying to apply the patch in the correct way, so even if someone could give me a breakdown of how to apply the patch, i could go back... try it and report back again.
      >
      > Normally you would cut and paste to create a patch file from the text in
      > the wiki article, then use the patch command to apply it... but in this
      > case, I'd just use a text editor to apply the patch manually. I'm not
      > in a position to test anything right now, so I can't tell you exactly
      > what/how to do this.
      >
      > Also, I'm not exactly sure what SlugOS release this is for - hopefully
      > it will work for the latest one. Make sure that the context (around the
      > "+" and "-" lines in the patch) match up correctly.
      >
      > -Mike (mwester)
      >
      > PS: I should note that the automount feature will be removed in the next
      > SlugOS release entirely. It causes more problems than it solves...

    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
        chris_jaz wrote:
        > Hi Mike,
        >
        > That is what i tried (doing it manually) and it didnt work.
        >
        > However after searching a little, am i supposed to be editing the mount.sh with my slugos usb pen inserted, or the mount.sh file without my usb pen inserted?

        I presume by "usb pen" you mean the usb flash device to which you did
        the "turnup" operation? If so, then yes - you must edit the mount.sh
        file on that device.

        But the distinction shouldn't matter to you, if you just boot normally
        -- whatever "normal" means given your configuration -- and edit the
        /etc/udev/script/mount.sh file, you'll be editing the correct file.
        > You say that automount will be removed, does this mean theres another way of achieving what i require?

        Yes. Normally, you would edit the /etc/fstab file so that each time the
        device boots, it will automatically mount the identified device (which
        you would identify by UUID or label, not by /dev/sdNN) into the correct
        place, with the correct mount options. If you are adding the device
        after-the-fact, then put the line into the fstab with the "noauto"
        keyword, so that it does not attempt to mount it at boot time. Then
        simply log in and type the correct commands when you plug the disk/flash
        in ("mount /mydisk1" or "mount /mymusicdisk", or whatever), and of
        course before you pull it out again ("umount /mydisk1", or whatever).

        The existing automount mechanism is planned to be removed, because of
        many minor problems. Each problem is, in itself, solvable -- but like
        fixing ancient plumbing, each time a leak is fixed, a new leak pops up
        somewhere else. The most serious issues are that the existing mechanism
        can cause devices to be mounted multiple times, with conflicting options
        - bad news. The existing mechanism relies on /dev/sdNN identification
        -- which is worse than useless, since the device ID assigned can vary,
        resulting in the potential for disaster and data loss (consider plugging
        in two disks -- one containing your financial records, the other a
        scratch device you use for temporary space... do you feel comfortable
        knowing that at any given time, either one of the two could be called
        /media/sda1?). Other issues include knowing how to map user ids for
        NTFS partitions; this might be different for different disk drives or
        flash devices.

        Yet another problem is that the existing solution is only half a
        solution -- it does nothing at all to help with the process of safe
        device removal.

        Solutions to all of this do exist; desktop Linux distros have solved
        this to a great extent. But it does not seem to be something solvable
        with udev, which is how the current script works. If anyone knows of a
        good embedded package that handles automounting of storage devices --
        something with a small footprint, no assumption of a console nor an
        X-windows user session, let me know. :)

        > I dont really see how it can be a useful tool without the automounting of drives, as i wouldnt want to log in and mount stuff everytime i turn it on. I know the idea is to leave it on all the time but thats not possible at the moment.
        It sounds to me that all you really need is to add the correct lines to
        the /etc/fstab, and you're all set.

        -Mike (mwester)