NSLU is making high frequency noise

  • doberanbookings
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2009
      I just bought an aftermarket nslu, and turns out, it makes a bad high pitched whine. It gets worse, when i connect the lan cable, and even worse when there's 2 usb drives connected.
      When under load, the frequency seems to be constantly changing, so when listening closely, it sounds like smth is creaking inside..
      As much as i have tried to hear it, i just can't figure out, which internal component actually produces it.
      It can't be the power supply's fault, since it makes the same noise when powered only by usb-hdd (from powered hub).

      As far as i have read, nslu's should be dead silent, right?

      According to power switching schematic's from nslu2-linux.org, C160 and 168 caps are actually responsible for removing the high freq's.
      Maybe i should try to replace these?
      Any more ideas?

      Thanks!
    • Ingo Flaschberger
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009

        > I just bought an aftermarket nslu, and turns out, it makes a bad high pitched whine. It gets worse, when i connect the lan cable,
        > and even worse when there's 2 usb drives connected.
        > When under load, the frequency seems to be constantly changing, so when listening closely, it sounds like smth is creaking inside..
        > As much as i have tried to hear it, i just can't figure out, which internal component actually produces it.
        > It can't be the power supply's fault, since it makes the same noise when powered only by usb-hdd (from powered hub).
        >
        > As far as i have read, nslu's should be dead silent, right?
        >
        > According to power switching schematic's from nslu2-linux.org, C160 and 168 caps are actually responsible for removing the high
        > freq's.
        > Maybe i should try to replace these?
        > Any more ideas?

        yes, broken caps can be responsible for this noise.
        try to replace all "big" electrolytic capacitor.

        Kind regards,
        Ingo Flaschberger
      • scott_645
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009

          Could it be the beeper? I purchased a NOS NSLU2 off ebay, and it works fine except for a high pitch noise that like yours varies by what is plugged into the NSLU. I have concluded by pressing on various components while the NSLU2 was operating that in my case at least, it is the beeper.

          Regards,
          Scott

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "doberanbookings" <doberanbookings@...> wrote:

          > I just bought an aftermarket nslu, and turns out, it makes a bad high pitched whine. It gets worse, when i connect the lan cable, and even worse when there's 2 usb drives connected.
          > When under load, the frequency seems to be constantly changing, so when listening closely, it sounds like smth is creaking inside..
          > As much as i have tried to hear it, i just can't figure out, which internal component actually produces it.
          > It can't be the power supply's fault, since it makes the same noise when powered only by usb-hdd (from powered hub).
          >
          > As far as i have read, nslu's should be dead silent, right?
          >
          > According to power switching schematic's from nslu2-linux.org, C160 and 168 caps are actually responsible for removing the high freq's.
          > Maybe i should try to replace these?
          > Any more ideas?
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Henrik Fransson
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009

            It could also be a coil or choke that causes the sound if there are any
            DC/DC converters inside the NSLU? I don't have the schematics at hand right
            now to check. Changing amplitude/pitch with varying would make sense in that
            case.

            Regards
            Henrik Fransson

            _____

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2009
              Well.. thanks for the suggestions. I guess, i have found the source of the whine.
              I'm pretty sure it's one of the coils, like Hendrik said. When i touch the L2 coil with a screwdriver, the sound goes absolutely insane..
              So now i wonder, is the coil bad, or could something be causing this instead?

              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/uploads/NSLU2-board-front-hires.jpg
              L2 is on the left center (marked 220 on top)
              What are these things for?
            • Oz-in-DFW
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 6, 2009
                Most likely noting is really wrong. What you are hearing is almost the
                windings or the core halves contracting as the current through the
                part cycles. This is probably just due to the fact that the glue that
                holds the core halves together wasn't applied too thoroughly or it was
                wound somewhat loosely, though there is a slim chance it's indicating
                hight current. The coil is probably electrically fine, though it might
                fail early if the windings are moving and scrubbing their insulation off.

                From what you described and hints from the picture this is probably part
                of a small on board switching power supply that is used to generate
                another supply voltage.

                You might be able to quiet it down by running some really thn lacquer
                into it, but you're just as likely to dissolve insulation and short it
                out. This will probably kill the switch transistor and other parts
                around it.

                I wonder if others are missing C31, C14 and C17? There are a lot of
                unstuffed parts on this board. I guess they are used for option
                selection or alternate parts. Now I need to look at some of mine.

                Nicely done pic BTW.

                --
                mailto:oz@...
                Oz
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8, 2009
                  Hi again,

                  This coil is probably a part of a DC/DC step down converter, to generate a
                  lower voltage than 5V.
                  It could be a mechanical fault on the coil, that makes it vibrate when the
                  DC/DC converter is running chopped DC current through it.

                  Maybe try add a small droplet of glue if you find any part of the coil that
                  is responsible for the noise.

                  Is your NSLU working normally except for the noise?

                  /Henrik

                  _____