Re: NSLU2 Drops Connection to LARGE Disk

  • djmalne
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 28, 2009
      Hmm perhaps the newer f/w does help - where did you get it...?

      Also I note that you have the bigger disk on port 1 which was one thing I considered as an option as both disk ports do not appear to be created equal...

      David
    • JimG
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
        I think I downloaded it from linksys' FTP site a few years ago. Their FTP site seems to no longer be available. Googling 'nslu2 2.3R76' will locate some download options.

        The larger disk was connected to disk1 as I did not obtain the backup drive 'till a later time. My NSLU2 implementation was not planned per se, it just came together to solve a file sharing problem, which it has done well.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "djmalne" <nabble.admin@...> wrote:

        > Hmm perhaps the newer f/w does help - where did you get it...?
        >
        > Also I note that you have the bigger disk on port 1 which was one thing I considered as an option as both disk ports do not appear to be created equal...
        >
        > David

      • djmalne
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
          I found the new f/ware - as you suggested I had googled it already!

          It does seem more stable so I will wait and see...

          David
        • gamesharkmike
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2009
            I have had connections drop with NTFS on my 80 GB USB Hard drive.

            I made a topic but I kept getting emails saying "Post to mailing list still pending" and one that said "Unable to deliver your message"

            http://www.nabble.com/NTFS-drives-on-NSLU2-tp24583514p24583514.html
            http://old.nabble.com/NTFS-drives-on-NSLU2-td24583514.html#a24583514
          • Mike Westerhof
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
              gamesharkmike wrote:
              > I have had connections drop with NTFS on my 80 GB USB Hard drive.
              >
              > I made a topic but I kept getting emails saying "Post to mailing list still pending" and one that said "Unable to deliver your message"

              Send your emails directly to the nslu2-general email list, not via nabble.

              Mike (mwester)
            • Mai Kee Reis
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
                I copied 1 TB of files from one disk to another at the same NSLU2 (new
                266MHz from factory).
                All okay!
                My housings are both IcyBox "IB-351 StUS-B" (one purchased in mid 2008,
                one in October 2009).
                My disks are WD10EACS 1TB SATA (same purchase data).
                OS is SlugOS/LE 5.3 with addition of the optware package, SMB and screen.
                Screen is required to do such long lasting actions from ssh terminal -
                otherwise one has to keep
                the ssh terminal all time open and connected and the ssh guest computer
                all times on.

                The Slug didn't got hot.
                Say 45°C instead of 38°C when idling (estimation related to my own body
                temperature).

                So, if anybody gots problems like dnabble got, he may try my test.
                If this test also fails, the Slug or the USB Disk Housings or the Power
                Supply Units are scrap.

                see:

                MySlug:~# sreen -r
                MySlug:~# dd bs=2048k if=/dev/sdb3 of=/dev/sdc3
                473862+1 records in
                473862+1 records out
                993761846784 bytes (994 GB) copied, 273498 seconds, 3.6 MB/s
                MySlug:~#

                Note:
                273498 sec = 4558 min = 76 h = 3.2 days!

                Okay, pretty slow. But it runs hell stable!
                Without the 2MB buffer, it would be much slower ;-)

                with best regards,
                Mai Kee

              • gamesharkmike
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2009
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

                  > gamesharkmike wrote:
                  > > I have had connections drop with NTFS on my 80 GB USB Hard drive.
                  > >
                  > > I made a topic but I kept getting emails saying "Post to mailing list still pending" and one that said "Unable to deliver your message"
                  > >
                  > Send your emails directly to the nslu2-general email list, not via nabble.
                  >
                  > Mike (mwester)

                  I didn't send an email, I used the new topic link.

                  So this is a newsgroup? So does that mean you can post by sending an email?