Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 Drops Connection to LARGE Disk

  • djmuk2
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12 1:28 PM
      If you find a solution then let me know - I have the same problem. Generally
      a restart of the slug cures it but it just took 2 restarts to find the 2nd
      disk again. Interesting that you found the same problem when you unslung it
      as that was going to be my next port of call.... Possible it is the drive
      overheating as I am sure I saw somewhere else that the slug doesn't spin the
      drives down....

      Have you tried the bigger disk on port 1 and the smaller on on port 2 - It
      seems to treat the 2 port differently (eg can use NTFS on 1 and not 2)... My
      one is on a remote site so it is a pain to make changes (and is the backup
      target so I don't really want to take it off site either...)

      thanks

      David

    • JimG
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 25 10:27 PM
        My slug is overclocked & running stock firmware V2.3R76. Drive 1 is a 2TB drive; it's 2 1-gb drives in a dual-sata enclosure with the drives striped & set to RAID 0 via the sata enclosure. No data or connection issues, been running over 6 months with the occasional reboot due to brownouts.

        Drive 2 is a 500GB 'normal' USB drive; the slug performs a nightly backup to this drive. Again no problems.

        Only issue I've run into is the Administration/Advanced/Disk interface has problems running Scandisk on disk1.

        Wonder if the V2.3R76 firmware helps- hope my posting may be of benefit. Happy Slugging :)
      • dnabble
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 28 4:45 AM
          I bought a "new" (but alas discontinued) NSLU2, a pair of 1.5T internal eSATA
          drives, and a pair of "almost" matching BlackX HDD USB/eSATA "docking
          stations."

          Not so prominently printed on the BlackX boxes, is the phrase: "SUPPORT UP
          TO 1TB (1,000GB) H.D.D."

          Rats!!

          Nevertheless, I decided to try, and went ahead with formatting, figuring to
          see an error message, signaling failure.

          Formats appeared to succeed, as did unslinging (SlugOS/LE), as did rsyncing,
          for a time, and therein lies a tale.

          As the drive filled up, the rsync process would hang inexplicably, and hang
          the slug: all and any terminal sessions would become unresponsive and new
          ssh requests ignored.

          Reboots always solved the problem, and always the slug was good for whatever
          you wanted, which seems to suggest overheating was not the problem. In fact
          the hanging was always associated with an rsync copying more files inbound.

          I was worried at first that, for the first time (in 4 slugs), the
          over-clocking to 266 MHz had bit me, but (see overheating consideration
          above) the hanging should have been random and not so connected with rsync.

          The mystifier was that (1) rsync would hang during a large (1GB) file
          transfer, (2) reboot, (3) rsync might appear to complete that file transfer
          and hang during an ensuing one. The disk "fill" was at around 80% as I
          recall.

          The problem also MIGHT have been related to my use of a 32MB "swapfile"
          instead of a larger, and real-er, swap "partition." (SlugOS/LE is smart
          enough managing memory to be able to get by with a smallish swapfile, in my
          understanding. [See "Install and Turnup SlugOS" at www.nslu2-linux.org]

          At any rate, my solution:
          Decide to live within the means of the BlackX docking stations and partition
          the drive with TWO sizable data partitions (91000 blocks) and a THIRD
          remainder swap partition (400 blocks).

          So far, I filled the first data partition to 82%, and have started the
          second. The acid test will come when that 2nd data partition hits around
          80-90%, but the NSLU2 hasn't so much as burped. IF CPU or disk were
          overheating, or IF it was over-overclocked, there should've been a burp,
          because the rsync stress is identical to the first case.

          Cheers!

        • djmalne
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 28 12:33 PM
            Hmm perhaps the newer f/w does help - where did you get it...?

            Also I note that you have the bigger disk on port 1 which was one thing I considered as an option as both disk ports do not appear to be created equal...

            David
          • JimG
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 31 7:34 AM
              I think I downloaded it from linksys' FTP site a few years ago. Their FTP site seems to no longer be available. Googling 'nslu2 2.3R76' will locate some download options.

              The larger disk was connected to disk1 as I did not obtain the backup drive 'till a later time. My NSLU2 implementation was not planned per se, it just came together to solve a file sharing problem, which it has done well.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "djmalne" <nabble.admin@...> wrote:

              > Hmm perhaps the newer f/w does help - where did you get it...?
              >
              > Also I note that you have the bigger disk on port 1 which was one thing I considered as an option as both disk ports do not appear to be created equal...
              >
              > David

            • djmalne
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
                I found the new f/ware - as you suggested I had googled it already!

                It does seem more stable so I will wait and see...

                David
              • gamesharkmike
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2009
                  I have had connections drop with NTFS on my 80 GB USB Hard drive.

                  I made a topic but I kept getting emails saying "Post to mailing list still pending" and one that said "Unable to deliver your message"

                  http://www.nabble.com/NTFS-drives-on-NSLU2-tp24583514p24583514.html
                  http://old.nabble.com/NTFS-drives-on-NSLU2-td24583514.html#a24583514
                • Mike Westerhof
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
                    gamesharkmike wrote:
                    > I have had connections drop with NTFS on my 80 GB USB Hard drive.
                    >
                    > I made a topic but I kept getting emails saying "Post to mailing list still pending" and one that said "Unable to deliver your message"

                    Send your emails directly to the nslu2-general email list, not via nabble.

                    Mike (mwester)
                  • Mai Kee Reis
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 4, 2009
                      I copied 1 TB of files from one disk to another at the same NSLU2 (new
                      266MHz from factory).
                      All okay!
                      My housings are both IcyBox "IB-351 StUS-B" (one purchased in mid 2008,
                      one in October 2009).
                      My disks are WD10EACS 1TB SATA (same purchase data).
                      OS is SlugOS/LE 5.3 with addition of the optware package, SMB and screen.
                      Screen is required to do such long lasting actions from ssh terminal -
                      otherwise one has to keep
                      the ssh terminal all time open and connected and the ssh guest computer
                      all times on.

                      The Slug didn't got hot.
                      Say 45°C instead of 38°C when idling (estimation related to my own body
                      temperature).

                      So, if anybody gots problems like dnabble got, he may try my test.
                      If this test also fails, the Slug or the USB Disk Housings or the Power
                      Supply Units are scrap.

                      see:

                      MySlug:~# sreen -r
                      MySlug:~# dd bs=2048k if=/dev/sdb3 of=/dev/sdc3
                      473862+1 records in
                      473862+1 records out
                      993761846784 bytes (994 GB) copied, 273498 seconds, 3.6 MB/s
                      MySlug:~#

                      Note:
                      273498 sec = 4558 min = 76 h = 3.2 days!

                      Okay, pretty slow. But it runs hell stable!
                      Without the 2MB buffer, it would be much slower ;-)

                      with best regards,
                      Mai Kee

                    • gamesharkmike
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 6, 2009
                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

                        > gamesharkmike wrote:
                        > > I have had connections drop with NTFS on my 80 GB USB Hard drive.
                        > >
                        > > I made a topic but I kept getting emails saying "Post to mailing list still pending" and one that said "Unable to deliver your message"
                        > >
                        > Send your emails directly to the nslu2-general email list, not via nabble.
                        >
                        > Mike (mwester)

                        I didn't send an email, I used the new topic link.

                        So this is a newsgroup? So does that mean you can post by sending an email?