Re: Firmware for Print server

  • wts_it_club
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18, 2009
      Hi, Thanks for the reply.
      I've followed the instructions on the page. But when I try to start cups I get this

      insmod: error inserting '/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': -1 Invalid module format
      cupsd: Child exited with status 1!

      How do I fix this?
      Thank you (:

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

      > Hello, you can use whatever, unslung, debian if printserver is what you will use your slug för,
      > read here:
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wts_it_club" <cs33@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, I just got a NSLU2 and was wondering what would be the best firmware to use if I want to use the NSLU2 as a print server.
      > > Thanks (:

    • janne5011
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18, 2009
        I think a solution is here:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallCups

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wts_it_club" <cs33@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Thanks for the reply.
        > I've followed the instructions on the page. But when I try to start cups I get this
        >
        > insmod: error inserting '/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': -1 Invalid module format
        > cupsd: Child exited with status 1!
        >
        > How do I fix this?
        > Thank you (:
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello, you can use whatever, unslung, debian if printserver is what you will use your slug för,
        > > read here:
        > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
        > >
        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wts_it_club" <cs33@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi, I just got a NSLU2 and was wondering what would be the best firmware to use if I want to use the NSLU2 as a print server.
        > > > Thanks (:

      • wts_it_club
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2009
          Thanks for the link. I've managed to eliminate that problem but now I still can't access the cups web page at 192.167.1.77:631
          After some searching i found this in the cups log file.

          I [24/Oct/1935:23:13:05 +0000] Listening to 0.0.0.0:631 on fd 4...
          E [24/Oct/1935:23:13:05 +0000] Unable to open listen socket for address :::631 - Address family not supported by protocol.
          I [24/Oct/1935:23:13:05 +0000] Resuming new connection processing...

          What do you think I shoud do?
          Thanks

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

          > I think a solution is here:
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallCups
          >

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wts_it_club" <cs33@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, Thanks for the reply.
          > > I've followed the instructions on the page. But when I try to start cups I get this
          > >
          > > insmod: error inserting '/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': -1 Invalid module format
          > > cupsd: Child exited with status 1!
          > >
          > > How do I fix this?
          > > Thank you (:
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello, you can use whatever, unslung, debian if printserver is what you will use your slug för,
          > > > read here:
          > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter

        • Paul Carmichael
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
            I spent absolutely ages setting mine up about 2 years ago. I was up all night pulling my hair out and almost threw the slug in the rubbish. However, I eventually got it working on a mixed network (linux and windows) and it's been fine ever since. Truth is though, I can't remember what I did, and when I try to remember, I get all nervous and start shouting at the wife. So all I can offer to do is show my config files as they are now working perfectly (including samba - I couldn't get the XP box to print via ipp).

            Remind me which files they are, and I'll stick them on a web site.