Firmware for Print server

  • wts_it_club
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17 7:01 AM
      Hi, I just got a NSLU2 and was wondering what would be the best firmware to use if I want to use the NSLU2 as a print server.
      Thanks (:
    • janne5011
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 17 8:24 AM
        Hello, you can use whatever, unslung, debian if printserver is what you will use your slug för,
        read here:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wts_it_club" <cs33@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I just got a NSLU2 and was wondering what would be the best firmware to use if I want to use the NSLU2 as a print server.
        > Thanks (:

      • wts_it_club
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 18 10:57 AM
          Hi, Thanks for the reply.
          I've followed the instructions on the page. But when I try to start cups I get this

          insmod: error inserting '/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': -1 Invalid module format
          cupsd: Child exited with status 1!

          How do I fix this?
          Thank you (:

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

          > Hello, you can use whatever, unslung, debian if printserver is what you will use your slug för,
          > read here:
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wts_it_club" <cs33@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, I just got a NSLU2 and was wondering what would be the best firmware to use if I want to use the NSLU2 as a print server.
          > > Thanks (:

        • janne5011
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 18 12:55 PM
            I think a solution is here:
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallCups

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wts_it_club" <cs33@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Thanks for the reply.
            > I've followed the instructions on the page. But when I try to start cups I get this
            >
            > insmod: error inserting '/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': -1 Invalid module format
            > cupsd: Child exited with status 1!
            >
            > How do I fix this?
            > Thank you (:
            >
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello, you can use whatever, unslung, debian if printserver is what you will use your slug för,
            > > read here:
            > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wts_it_club" <cs33@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi, I just got a NSLU2 and was wondering what would be the best firmware to use if I want to use the NSLU2 as a print server.
            > > > Thanks (:

          • wts_it_club
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 19 12:40 AM
              Thanks for the link. I've managed to eliminate that problem but now I still can't access the cups web page at 192.167.1.77:631
              After some searching i found this in the cups log file.

              I [24/Oct/1935:23:13:05 +0000] Listening to 0.0.0.0:631 on fd 4...
              E [24/Oct/1935:23:13:05 +0000] Unable to open listen socket for address :::631 - Address family not supported by protocol.
              I [24/Oct/1935:23:13:05 +0000] Resuming new connection processing...

              What do you think I shoud do?
              Thanks

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

              > I think a solution is here:
              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallCups
              >

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "wts_it_club" <cs33@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi, Thanks for the reply.
              > > I've followed the instructions on the page. But when I try to start cups I get this
              > >
              > > insmod: error inserting '/opt/lib/modules/printer.o': -1 Invalid module format
              > > cupsd: Child exited with status 1!
              > >
              > > How do I fix this?
              > > Thank you (:
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello, you can use whatever, unslung, debian if printserver is what you will use your slug för,
              > > > read here:
              > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter

            • Paul Carmichael
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
                I spent absolutely ages setting mine up about 2 years ago. I was up all night pulling my hair out and almost threw the slug in the rubbish. However, I eventually got it working on a mixed network (linux and windows) and it's been fine ever since. Truth is though, I can't remember what I did, and when I try to remember, I get all nervous and start shouting at the wife. So all I can offer to do is show my config files as they are now working perfectly (including samba - I couldn't get the XP box to print via ipp).

                Remind me which files they are, and I'll stick them on a web site.