Re: [nslu2-general] What next

  • DaylanDarby
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
      Used Nslu2, ~$50 +/-
      New fit-pC2, $315, $369, $409

      Hanneke & Paul Brandt wrote:

      > Hi there,
      >
      > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
      > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
      > Memory: 1GB DDR2
      > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
      > Audio: High definition 2.0
      > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
      > USB: 6 USB
      > IR Receiver
      > miniSD socket
      > 12V power supply
      > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
      > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a
      > great
      > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
      > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
      > http://www.fit-pc2.com <http://www.fit-pc2.com> The fit-pC2 is the top
      > of a range of three. Its
      > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
      > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
      > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
      > appliances).
      >
      > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
      > regards
      > Paul

    • docbillnet
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
        Sorry I read the fit-PC hardware specifications, and looked at the price list for the fit-PC2. As far as a media player goes, this might be a good choice if you wish to build your own system. I personally prefer a ready to use solution like a popcorn hour, but building your own does give you more flexibility.

        Bill

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
        > Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.
        >
        > Bill

      • Peter Chant
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
          On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:
          > Hello!
          > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that
          > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

          I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've
          played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there
          is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using
          micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and
          programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains
          connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter
          power perhaps?

          Pete

          --
          Peter Chant
          http://www.petezilla.co.uk
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
            Gumstix Overo is the smallest you can get, but I don't see a network module for it at this time. You can get it with WiFi and BT:

            http://www.gumstix.com/

            On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:

            > Hello!

            > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that

            > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

            I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've

            played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there

            is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using

            micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and

            programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains

            connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter

            power perhaps?

            Pete

            --

            Peter Chant

            http://www.petezill a.co.uk

          • sevensins777
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 10, 2009
              For a really low power solution (electronic hobby, etc), sort of a micro-controller on steroids with support to Linux please checkout Bifferboard:

              http://bifferos.bizhat.com/
              http://sites.google.com/site/bifferboard/ (wiki)

              You can run it with OpenWrt (Linux distro used for routers), alternative OSs such as SlackWare, etc, and Special Light OS that will run from 1MB Flash.

              I've done some nice things with OpenWrt, now trying to use it with the On-Board Flash Linux, making some simple C apps to communicate with external chips, getting both worlds together, Electronics and micro-controllers with Linux apps!

              Regards,
              Nelson.