[nslu2-general] What next

  • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 25, 2009
      Hi there,

      I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
      CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
      Memory: 1GB DDR2
      Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
      Audio: High definition 2.0
      LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
      USB: 6 USB
      IR Receiver
      miniSD socket
      12V power supply
      And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
      standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a great
      platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
      worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
      http://www.fit-pc2.com The fit-pC2 is the top of a range of three. Its
      smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
      fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
      nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
      appliances).

      If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
      regards
      Paul

    • DaylanDarby
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
        Used Nslu2, ~$50 +/-
        New fit-pC2, $315, $369, $409

        Hanneke & Paul Brandt wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
        > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
        > Memory: 1GB DDR2
        > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
        > Audio: High definition 2.0
        > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
        > USB: 6 USB
        > IR Receiver
        > miniSD socket
        > 12V power supply
        > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
        > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a
        > great
        > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
        > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
        > http://www.fit-pc2.com <http://www.fit-pc2.com> The fit-pC2 is the top
        > of a range of three. Its
        > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
        > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
        > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
        > appliances).
        >
        > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
        > regards
        > Paul

      • docbillnet
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Hanneke & Paul Brandt" <brandt.dominicus@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
          > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
          > Memory: 1GB DDR2
          > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
          > Audio: High definition 2.0
          > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
          > USB: 6 USB
          > IR Receiver
          > miniSD socket
          > 12V power supply
          > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
          > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a great
          > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
          > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
          > http://www.fit-pc2.com The fit-pC2 is the top of a range of three. Its
          > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
          > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
          > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
          > appliances).
          >
          > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
          > regards
          > Paul

          Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.

          Bill
        • docbillnet
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
            > Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.
            >
            > Bill

            That is not to say there aren't some good uses for a fit-PC2. For example, we recently were considering using a fit-PC2 connected to an LCD TV as a score board.

            Bill
          • docbillnet
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
              Sorry I read the fit-PC hardware specifications, and looked at the price list for the fit-PC2. As far as a media player goes, this might be a good choice if you wish to build your own system. I personally prefer a ready to use solution like a popcorn hour, but building your own does give you more flexibility.

              Bill

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
              > Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.
              >
              > Bill

            • Peter Chant
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
                On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:
                > Hello!
                > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that
                > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

                I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've
                played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there
                is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using
                micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and
                programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains
                connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter
                power perhaps?

                Pete

                --
                Peter Chant
                http://www.petezilla.co.uk
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
                  Gumstix Overo is the smallest you can get, but I don't see a network module for it at this time. You can get it with WiFi and BT:

                  http://www.gumstix.com/

                  On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:

                  > Hello!

                  > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that

                  > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

                  I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've

                  played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there

                  is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using

                  micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and

                  programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains

                  connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter

                  power perhaps?

                  Pete

                  --

                  Peter Chant

                  http://www.petezill a.co.uk

                • sevensins777
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 10, 2009
                    For a really low power solution (electronic hobby, etc), sort of a micro-controller on steroids with support to Linux please checkout Bifferboard:

                    http://bifferos.bizhat.com/
                    http://sites.google.com/site/bifferboard/ (wiki)

                    You can run it with OpenWrt (Linux distro used for routers), alternative OSs such as SlackWare, etc, and Special Light OS that will run from 1MB Flash.

                    I've done some nice things with OpenWrt, now trying to use it with the On-Board Flash Linux, making some simple C apps to communicate with external chips, getting both worlds together, Electronics and micro-controllers with Linux apps!

                    Regards,
                    Nelson.