Help with NFS for Windows XP- for WDTV setup

  • Amitabh Bhargava
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2009
      Apologies if question sounds like a newbie to you as I am one. I purchased WD TV and learnt that I need to use NFS share if I need to speed up my abysmal transfer speeds. I followed the tutorial at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NFSonWindows. I get stuck at the point where I need to enter user name mapping within local computer. When I click on "Show user maps" or "Show group maps" I get a message "Unable to access User name mapping server No maps could be obtained".

      I have Win XP Home and on the computer just have admin and guest account. I do not have any password for admin account. I am using password and group files as attached in following link http://www.wdtvc.com/2009/04/01/setup-guide-for-wd-tv-nfs-sharing-on-windows/

      I would appreciate any help or suggestions
    • creisor
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2009
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Amitabh Bhargava" <abhargava_71@...> wrote:

        > Apologies if question sounds like a newbie to you as I am one. I purchased WD TV and learnt that I need to use NFS share if I need to speed up my abysmal transfer speeds. I followed the tutorial at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NFSonWindows. I get stuck at the point where I need to enter user name mapping within local computer. When I click on "Show user maps" or "Show group maps" I get a message "Unable to access User name mapping server No maps could be obtained".
        >
        > I have Win XP Home and on the computer just have admin and guest account. I do not have any password for admin account. I am using password and group files as attached in following link http://www.wdtvc.com/2009/04/01/setup-guide-for-wd-tv-nfs-sharing-on-windows/
        >
        > I would appreciate any help or suggestions

        I've not used Windows Services for UNIX, nor do I have a Windows box to test this on, but a few suggestions based on what I see here:

        * check the ACLs on the group and passwd files
        * did you remove the .txt extension on the files you downloaded from that site?
        * the error might be indicating that the Windows domain is unavailable; check that your Windows domain is working (i.e., you can browse to \\<domainname>)
      • john wallace
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18, 2009
          Have you tried hanewinnfs? A really simple to use nfs server... i have this setup and use my wdtv in conjunction with my nslu2

          To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
          From: creisor@...
          Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:01:04 +0000
          Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Help with NFS for Windows XP- for WDTV setup

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Amitabh Bhargava" <abhargava_71@...> wrote:

          > Apologies if question sounds like a newbie to you as I am one. I purchased WD TV and learnt that I need to use NFS share if I need to speed up my abysmal transfer speeds. I followed the tutorial at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NFSonWindows. I get stuck at the point where I need to enter user name mapping within local computer. When I click on "Show user maps" or "Show group maps" I get a message "Unable to access User name mapping server No maps could be obtained".

          > I have Win XP Home and on the computer just have admin and guest account. I do not have any password for admin account. I am using password and group files as attached in following link http://www.wdtvc.com/2009/04/01/setup-guide-for-wd-tv-nfs-sharing-on-windows/

          > I would appreciate any help or suggestions

          I've not used Windows Services for UNIX, nor do I have a Windows box to test this on, but a few suggestions based on what I see here:

          * check the ACLs on the group and passwd files

          * did you remove the .txt extension on the files you downloaded from that site?

          * the error might be indicating that the Windows domain is unavailable; check that your Windows domain is working (i.e., you can browse to \\<domainname>)

        • abhargava_71
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2009
            Essentially I would have to spend extra dollars to actually purchase hanewinnfs and apart from using it for wdtv, I do not see any utility for it. Windows services for unix is free- so I was planning to try it out