RE: [nslu2-general] What next?

  • Gregg C Levine
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
      Hello!
      I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that
      my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

      My only problem is that the thing is wearing only one USB port for the
      drive. This is because I am also a follower of and user of the One-Wire
      hardware from Maxim/Dallas Semiconductor and Linux runs rather well with
      these things via OWFS and I'm involved with that as well.

      My plug is currently not really on order but will be ordered from them RSN
      so enough on that.
      --
      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

      On
      > Behalf Of CORNELIU DOBAN
      > Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:36 PM
      > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] What next?
      >
      > Hi Peter,
      >
      > The SheevaPlug is more powerful (1GHz ARM9) and in the same price range
      ($99) as the
      > NSLU2, but it has only one USB.
      >
      > Comes with Ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed in the 512MB NAND flash and has 512MB
      DDR2 to
      > play.
      >
      > Take a look:

      http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheev
      aplug.js

      > I got mine a few months ago and I'm happy with it.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Corneliu

    • doll_oliver
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 12, 2009
        All,

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN wrote:
        > The SheevaPlug is more powerful (1GHz ARM9) and in the same price range ($99) as the NSLU2 [...]

        I'm also considering to replace my SLUG with a SheevaPlug. Though following the link to the marvel site I get a bit confused thus please allow a few questions:

        o which version would be the right choice: PogoPlug or ShivaPlug Dev Kit?

        o there's also an EU version. I guess this just has an EU jack (instead of the US one), but the EU connector can be removed in the same way as the US jack to give access for a power cord?

        o are there any recommendations for a source ordering in Europe (to avoid custom trouble)?
        --
        thx & cheers
        Oliver
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 25, 2009
          Hi there,

          I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
          CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
          Memory: 1GB DDR2
          Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
          Audio: High definition 2.0
          LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
          USB: 6 USB
          IR Receiver
          miniSD socket
          12V power supply
          And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
          standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a great
          platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
          worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
          http://www.fit-pc2.com The fit-pC2 is the top of a range of three. Its
          smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
          fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
          nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
          appliances).

          If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
          regards
          Paul

        • DaylanDarby
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
            Used Nslu2, ~$50 +/-
            New fit-pC2, $315, $369, $409

            Hanneke & Paul Brandt wrote:

            > Hi there,
            >
            > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
            > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
            > Memory: 1GB DDR2
            > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
            > Audio: High definition 2.0
            > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
            > USB: 6 USB
            > IR Receiver
            > miniSD socket
            > 12V power supply
            > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
            > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a
            > great
            > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
            > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
            > http://www.fit-pc2.com <http://www.fit-pc2.com> The fit-pC2 is the top
            > of a range of three. Its
            > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
            > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
            > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
            > appliances).
            >
            > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
            > regards
            > Paul

          • docbillnet
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Hanneke & Paul Brandt" <brandt.dominicus@...> wrote:

              > Hi there,
              >
              > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
              > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
              > Memory: 1GB DDR2
              > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
              > Audio: High definition 2.0
              > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
              > USB: 6 USB
              > IR Receiver
              > miniSD socket
              > 12V power supply
              > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
              > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a great
              > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
              > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
              > http://www.fit-pc2.com The fit-pC2 is the top of a range of three. Its
              > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
              > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
              > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
              > appliances).
              >
              > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
              > regards
              > Paul

              Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.

              Bill
            • docbillnet
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                > Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.
                >
                > Bill

                That is not to say there aren't some good uses for a fit-PC2. For example, we recently were considering using a fit-PC2 connected to an LCD TV as a score board.

                Bill
              • docbillnet
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                  Sorry I read the fit-PC hardware specifications, and looked at the price list for the fit-PC2. As far as a media player goes, this might be a good choice if you wish to build your own system. I personally prefer a ready to use solution like a popcorn hour, but building your own does give you more flexibility.

                  Bill

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                  > Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.
                  >
                  > Bill

                • Peter Chant
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
                    On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:
                    > Hello!
                    > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that
                    > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

                    I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've
                    played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there
                    is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using
                    micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and
                    programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains
                    connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter
                    power perhaps?

                    Pete

                    --
                    Peter Chant
                    http://www.petezilla.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
                      Gumstix Overo is the smallest you can get, but I don't see a network module for it at this time. You can get it with WiFi and BT:

                      http://www.gumstix.com/

                      On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:

                      > Hello!

                      > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that

                      > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

                      I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've

                      played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there

                      is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using

                      micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and

                      programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains

                      connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter

                      power perhaps?

                      Pete

                      --

                      Peter Chant

                      http://www.petezill a.co.uk

                    • sevensins777
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 10, 2009
                        For a really low power solution (electronic hobby, etc), sort of a micro-controller on steroids with support to Linux please checkout Bifferboard:

                        http://bifferos.bizhat.com/
                        http://sites.google.com/site/bifferboard/ (wiki)

                        You can run it with OpenWrt (Linux distro used for routers), alternative OSs such as SlackWare, etc, and Special Light OS that will run from 1MB Flash.

                        I've done some nice things with OpenWrt, now trying to use it with the On-Board Flash Linux, making some simple C apps to communicate with external chips, getting both worlds together, Electronics and micro-controllers with Linux apps!

                        Regards,
                        Nelson.