Re: [nslu2-general] What next?

  • CORNELIU DOBAN
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 11 3:35 PM
      Hi Peter,

      The SheevaPlug is more powerful (1GHz ARM9) and in the same price range ($99) as the NSLU2, but it has only one USB.

      Comes with Ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed in the 512MB NAND flash and has 512MB DDR2 to play.

      Take a look:
      http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp

      I got mine a few months ago and I'm happy with it.

      Regards,
      Corneliu

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 11 3:57 PM
        Greetings,

        Well I had taken a good look at where I wanted to go when my slug died in
        March. Looked at lots of NAS and home server boxes. Decided that I wanted
        to get a home server setup since I had 3 desktops, 2 portables, Xbox360 and
        two Tivo boxes. What I wanted to do was get a central backup, media server,
        media storage/conversion etc. I finally sat down and wrote up a list of
        requirements for this new box, went through several editions before final
        version was printed. I now have a Windows Home Server with 8 TB of hard
        drive storage. Got a box from Tranquil PC out of UK, a SQA-5A. Love the
        system, storage and being able to finally have backups of everything.

        Urban

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 11 4:18 PM
          Hello!
          I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that
          my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

          My only problem is that the thing is wearing only one USB port for the
          drive. This is because I am also a follower of and user of the One-Wire
          hardware from Maxim/Dallas Semiconductor and Linux runs rather well with
          these things via OWFS and I'm involved with that as well.

          My plug is currently not really on order but will be ordered from them RSN
          so enough on that.
          --
          Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

          On
          > Behalf Of CORNELIU DOBAN
          > Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:36 PM
          > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] What next?
          >
          > Hi Peter,
          >
          > The SheevaPlug is more powerful (1GHz ARM9) and in the same price range
          ($99) as the
          > NSLU2, but it has only one USB.
          >
          > Comes with Ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed in the 512MB NAND flash and has 512MB
          DDR2 to
          > play.
          >
          > Take a look:

          http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheev
          aplug.js

          > I got mine a few months ago and I'm happy with it.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Corneliu

        • doll_oliver
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 12 2:09 AM
            All,

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN wrote:
            > The SheevaPlug is more powerful (1GHz ARM9) and in the same price range ($99) as the NSLU2 [...]

            I'm also considering to replace my SLUG with a SheevaPlug. Though following the link to the marvel site I get a bit confused thus please allow a few questions:

            o which version would be the right choice: PogoPlug or ShivaPlug Dev Kit?

            o there's also an EU version. I guess this just has an EU jack (instead of the US one), but the EU connector can be removed in the same way as the US jack to give access for a power cord?

            o are there any recommendations for a source ordering in Europe (to avoid custom trouble)?
            --
            thx & cheers
            Oliver
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 25 5:26 AM
              Hi there,

              I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
              CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
              Memory: 1GB DDR2
              Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
              Audio: High definition 2.0
              LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
              USB: 6 USB
              IR Receiver
              miniSD socket
              12V power supply
              And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
              standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a great
              platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
              worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
              http://www.fit-pc2.com The fit-pC2 is the top of a range of three. Its
              smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
              fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
              nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
              appliances).

              If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
              regards
              Paul

            • DaylanDarby
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                Used Nslu2, ~$50 +/-
                New fit-pC2, $315, $369, $409

                Hanneke & Paul Brandt wrote:

                > Hi there,
                >
                > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
                > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
                > Memory: 1GB DDR2
                > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
                > Audio: High definition 2.0
                > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
                > USB: 6 USB
                > IR Receiver
                > miniSD socket
                > 12V power supply
                > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
                > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a
                > great
                > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
                > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
                > http://www.fit-pc2.com <http://www.fit-pc2.com> The fit-pC2 is the top
                > of a range of three. Its
                > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
                > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
                > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
                > appliances).
                >
                > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
                > regards
                > Paul

              • docbillnet
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Hanneke & Paul Brandt" <brandt.dominicus@...> wrote:

                  > Hi there,
                  >
                  > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
                  > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
                  > Memory: 1GB DDR2
                  > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
                  > Audio: High definition 2.0
                  > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
                  > USB: 6 USB
                  > IR Receiver
                  > miniSD socket
                  > 12V power supply
                  > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
                  > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a great
                  > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
                  > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
                  > http://www.fit-pc2.com The fit-pC2 is the top of a range of three. Its
                  > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
                  > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
                  > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
                  > appliances).
                  >
                  > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
                  > regards
                  > Paul

                  Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.

                  Bill
                • docbillnet
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                    > Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.
                    >
                    > Bill

                    That is not to say there aren't some good uses for a fit-PC2. For example, we recently were considering using a fit-PC2 connected to an LCD TV as a score board.

                    Bill
                  • docbillnet
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                      Sorry I read the fit-PC hardware specifications, and looked at the price list for the fit-PC2. As far as a media player goes, this might be a good choice if you wish to build your own system. I personally prefer a ready to use solution like a popcorn hour, but building your own does give you more flexibility.

                      Bill

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                      > Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.
                      >
                      > Bill

                    • Peter Chant
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
                        On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:
                        > Hello!
                        > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that
                        > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

                        I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've
                        played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there
                        is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using
                        micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and
                        programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains
                        connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter
                        power perhaps?

                        Pete

                        --
                        Peter Chant
                        http://www.petezilla.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
                          Gumstix Overo is the smallest you can get, but I don't see a network module for it at this time. You can get it with WiFi and BT:

                          http://www.gumstix.com/

                          On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:

                          > Hello!

                          > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that

                          > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

                          I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've

                          played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there

                          is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using

                          micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and

                          programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains

                          connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter

                          power perhaps?

                          Pete

                          --

                          Peter Chant

                          http://www.petezill a.co.uk

                        • sevensins777
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 10, 2009
                            For a really low power solution (electronic hobby, etc), sort of a micro-controller on steroids with support to Linux please checkout Bifferboard:

                            http://bifferos.bizhat.com/
                            http://sites.google.com/site/bifferboard/ (wiki)

                            You can run it with OpenWrt (Linux distro used for routers), alternative OSs such as SlackWare, etc, and Special Light OS that will run from 1MB Flash.

                            I've done some nice things with OpenWrt, now trying to use it with the On-Board Flash Linux, making some simple C apps to communicate with external chips, getting both worlds together, Electronics and micro-controllers with Linux apps!

                            Regards,
                            Nelson.