What next?

  • Peter Lohmann
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
      Hi!

      I am currently using a SLUG with one harddrive as a debian box hosting an SVN
      repository for my private document management system. It works quite OK, but I
      would like some more power when it comes to data throughput and fancy some other
      features.

      Do you guys know of any hardware that
      - can house two drives (external or internal)
      - can spin down the drives (my external drive cannot spin down currently)
      [--> the WD mybook series can do that on their own, right?]
      - does have a little bit more power than the nslu2 (for example to run a VPN
      server)
      - does have moderate to low power consumption
      - debian can be installed upon
      - is available in Europe?

      Thanks and best regards,

      Peter
    • Thomas Reitmayr
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
        Hi Peter,
        if you want a device with more power (CPU, memory, network) and support
        by Debian, then I can recommend a NAS device by QNAP. I bought a TS-109
        (at a local store in Europe) a while ago and run Angstrom on it, but
        Debian is well-supported for this type of devices, see
        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/ .

        The TS-109/119 can be used with one internal + one external drive, the
        TS-209/219 is the version with two internal drives. Putting the HDs to
        sleep works fine for me. The power consumption is also ok, I guess - did
        not measure mine, but data sheet of TS-109 says 6.6 W in sleep mode.
        The devices are a bit more expensive than a Slug though.

        The above link also lists similar devices by other manufacturers but I
        do not have any personal experience with them.
        Regards,
        -Thomas

        Am Sonntag, den 09.08.2009, 11:52 +0200 schrieb Peter Lohmann:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I am currently using a SLUG with one harddrive as a debian box hosting
        > an SVN
        > repository for my private document management system. It works quite
        > OK, but I
        > would like some more power when it comes to data throughput and fancy
        > some other
        > features.
        >
        > Do you guys know of any hardware that
        > - can house two drives (external or internal)
        > - can spin down the drives (my external drive cannot spin down
        > currently)
        > [--> the WD mybook series can do that on their own, right?]
        > - does have a little bit more power than the nslu2 (for example to run
        > a VPN
        > server)
        > - does have moderate to low power consumption
        > - debian can be installed upon
        > - is available in Europe?
        >
        > Thanks and best regards,
        >
        > Peter

      • lxs4eu
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
          Perhaps take a look at the Viglen MPC-L?

          http://www.viglen.co.uk/viglen/Products_Services/Product_Range/Product_file.aspx?eCode=XUBUMPCL

          basic vitals:
          400MHz AMD Geode processor, 512MB RAM, 80GB hard disk,
          6 USB ports, and low-power consumption at 10W

          - - - -

          For folks in UK: can be sourced for only £79 incl. VAT
          ...also includes keyboard, mouse, 1 year on-site support + delivery!
          This special offer price is available to listeners of @uupc (http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/)

          - a quick web search should offer you more info -
          http://lmgtfy.com/?q=viglen+mpc-l
        • CORNELIU DOBAN
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
            Hi Peter,

            The SheevaPlug is more powerful (1GHz ARM9) and in the same price range ($99) as the NSLU2, but it has only one USB.

            Comes with Ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed in the 512MB NAND flash and has 512MB DDR2 to play.

            Take a look:
            http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp

            I got mine a few months ago and I'm happy with it.

            Regards,
            Corneliu

            if you want a device with more power (CPU, memory, network) and support

            by Debian, then I can recommend a NAS device by QNAP. I bought a TS-109

            (at a local store in Europe) a while ago and run Angstrom on it, but

            Debian is well-supported for this type of devices, see

            http://www.cyrius com/debian/ .

            The TS-109/119 can be used with one internal + one external drive, the

            TS-209/219 is the version with two internal drives. Putting the HDs to

            sleep works fine for me. The power consumption is also ok, I guess - did

            not measure mine, but data sheet of TS-109 says 6.6 W in sleep mode.

            The devices are a bit more expensive than a Slug though.

            The above link also lists similar devices by other manufacturers but I

            do not have any personal experience with them.

            Regards,

            -Thomas

            Am Sonntag, den 09.08.2009, 11:52 +0200 schrieb Peter Lohmann:

            > Hi!

            > I am currently using a SLUG with one harddrive as a debian box hosting

            > an SVN

            > repository for my private document management system. It works quite

            > OK, but I

            > would like some more power when it comes to data throughput and fancy

            > some other

            > features.

            > Do you guys know of any hardware that

            > - can house two drives (external or internal)

            > - can spin down the drives (my external drive cannot spin down

            > currently)

            > [--> the WD mybook series can do that on their own, right?]

            > - does have a little bit more power than the nslu2 (for example to run

            > a VPN

            > server)

            > - does have moderate to low power consumption

            > - debian can be installed upon

            > - is available in Europe?

            > Thanks and best regards,

            > Peter

          • Urban Cubbage
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
              Greetings,

              Well I had taken a good look at where I wanted to go when my slug died in
              March. Looked at lots of NAS and home server boxes. Decided that I wanted
              to get a home server setup since I had 3 desktops, 2 portables, Xbox360 and
              two Tivo boxes. What I wanted to do was get a central backup, media server,
              media storage/conversion etc. I finally sat down and wrote up a list of
              requirements for this new box, went through several editions before final
              version was printed. I now have a Windows Home Server with 8 TB of hard
              drive storage. Got a box from Tranquil PC out of UK, a SQA-5A. Love the
              system, storage and being able to finally have backups of everything.

              Urban

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
                Hello!
                I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that
                my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

                My only problem is that the thing is wearing only one USB port for the
                drive. This is because I am also a follower of and user of the One-Wire
                hardware from Maxim/Dallas Semiconductor and Linux runs rather well with
                these things via OWFS and I'm involved with that as well.

                My plug is currently not really on order but will be ordered from them RSN
                so enough on that.
                --
                Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                On
                > Behalf Of CORNELIU DOBAN
                > Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:36 PM
                > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] What next?
                >
                > Hi Peter,
                >
                > The SheevaPlug is more powerful (1GHz ARM9) and in the same price range
                ($99) as the
                > NSLU2, but it has only one USB.
                >
                > Comes with Ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed in the 512MB NAND flash and has 512MB
                DDR2 to
                > play.
                >
                > Take a look:

                http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheev
                aplug.js

                > I got mine a few months ago and I'm happy with it.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Corneliu

              • doll_oliver
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 12, 2009
                  All,

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN wrote:
                  > The SheevaPlug is more powerful (1GHz ARM9) and in the same price range ($99) as the NSLU2 [...]

                  I'm also considering to replace my SLUG with a SheevaPlug. Though following the link to the marvel site I get a bit confused thus please allow a few questions:

                  o which version would be the right choice: PogoPlug or ShivaPlug Dev Kit?

                  o there's also an EU version. I guess this just has an EU jack (instead of the US one), but the EU connector can be removed in the same way as the US jack to give access for a power cord?

                  o are there any recommendations for a source ordering in Europe (to avoid custom trouble)?
                  --
                  thx & cheers
                  Oliver
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 25, 2009
                    Hi there,

                    I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
                    CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
                    Memory: 1GB DDR2
                    Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
                    Audio: High definition 2.0
                    LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
                    USB: 6 USB
                    IR Receiver
                    miniSD socket
                    12V power supply
                    And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
                    standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a great
                    platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
                    worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
                    http://www.fit-pc2.com The fit-pC2 is the top of a range of three. Its
                    smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
                    fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
                    nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
                    appliances).

                    If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
                    regards
                    Paul

                  • DaylanDarby
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                      Used Nslu2, ~$50 +/-
                      New fit-pC2, $315, $369, $409

                      Hanneke & Paul Brandt wrote:

                      > Hi there,
                      >
                      > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
                      > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
                      > Memory: 1GB DDR2
                      > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
                      > Audio: High definition 2.0
                      > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
                      > USB: 6 USB
                      > IR Receiver
                      > miniSD socket
                      > 12V power supply
                      > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
                      > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a
                      > great
                      > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
                      > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
                      > http://www.fit-pc2.com <http://www.fit-pc2.com> The fit-pC2 is the top
                      > of a range of three. Its
                      > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
                      > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
                      > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
                      > appliances).
                      >
                      > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
                      > regards
                      > Paul

                    • docbillnet
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Hanneke & Paul Brandt" <brandt.dominicus@...> wrote:

                        > Hi there,
                        >
                        > I'd suggest the fit-PC2, a tiny but very complete system:
                        > CPU: Intel Atom Z510 or 530 (1.1 / 1.6GHz),
                        > Memory: 1GB DDR2
                        > Display: DVI up to 1920x1080
                        > Audio: High definition 2.0
                        > LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet
                        > USB: 6 USB
                        > IR Receiver
                        > miniSD socket
                        > 12V power supply
                        > And all that with only 8W power usage on full CPU load, less than 1W on
                        > standby. WLAN and internal harddisk 160G are optional. In my opinion a great
                        > platform for home appliances. It's available through amazon, hence
                        > worldwide. There are resellers in the netherlands. see for full specs:
                        > http://www.fit-pc2.com The fit-pC2 is the top of a range of three. Its
                        > smallest cousin, the fit-pc1, is on sale now. In between the two is the
                        > fit-pc slim. Smaller and less performing, still more horsepower than the
                        > nslu (that is otherwise perfectly able to cope with the more basic home
                        > appliances).
                        >
                        > If anyone has some second thoughts about the fit-PC2, please let us know!
                        > regards
                        > Paul

                        Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.

                        Bill
                      • docbillnet
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                          > Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.
                          >
                          > Bill

                          That is not to say there aren't some good uses for a fit-PC2. For example, we recently were considering using a fit-PC2 connected to an LCD TV as a score board.

                          Bill
                        • docbillnet
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 7, 2009
                            Sorry I read the fit-PC hardware specifications, and looked at the price list for the fit-PC2. As far as a media player goes, this might be a good choice if you wish to build your own system. I personally prefer a ready to use solution like a popcorn hour, but building your own does give you more flexibility.

                            Bill

                            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                            > Seems to me a poor choice. The price is rather high for use as a server, and the CPU speed is to slow to be a good media player. Granted there are some good media players with slower CPU's, but they have the hardware acceleration chips to make-up for it. Even then, you can't run a standard Linux distribution and expect them to keep up playing your mkv files, rather you need optimized firmware that uses the acceleration chips and all the tricks the developers can throw at them.
                            >
                            > Bill

                          • Peter Chant
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
                              On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:
                              > Hello!
                              > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that
                              > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

                              I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've
                              played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there
                              is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using
                              micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and
                              programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains
                              connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter
                              power perhaps?

                              Pete

                              --
                              Peter Chant
                              http://www.petezilla.co.uk
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 9, 2009
                                Gumstix Overo is the smallest you can get, but I don't see a network module for it at this time. You can get it with WiFi and BT:

                                http://www.gumstix.com/

                                On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Gregg C Levine wrote:

                                > Hello!

                                > I agree with you Corneliu regarding the Sheeva plug. I might also add that

                                > my Linux distribution Slackware has been successfully ported to the thing.

                                I wonder if there are any other light weight low power alternatives, I've

                                played with midge running on an edimax router board, but I wondered if there

                                is something even lighter weight for those of us who really ought to be using

                                micro controllers but would like the luxury of ethernet and usb and

                                programming in python or tcl rather than C or machine code. For mains

                                connected applications Sheeva plug must be it, but not so useful for batter

                                power perhaps?

                                Pete

                                --

                                Peter Chant

                                http://www.petezill a.co.uk

                              • sevensins777
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 10, 2009
                                  For a really low power solution (electronic hobby, etc), sort of a micro-controller on steroids with support to Linux please checkout Bifferboard:

                                  http://bifferos.bizhat.com/
                                  http://sites.google.com/site/bifferboard/ (wiki)

                                  You can run it with OpenWrt (Linux distro used for routers), alternative OSs such as SlackWare, etc, and Special Light OS that will run from 1MB Flash.

                                  I've done some nice things with OpenWrt, now trying to use it with the On-Board Flash Linux, making some simple C apps to communicate with external chips, getting both worlds together, Electronics and micro-controllers with Linux apps!

                                  Regards,
                                  Nelson.