Used wrong power supply and now it's trash?

  • waxdonut
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
      We were moving the living room furniture around to do some painting. When we finished, I was moving a little too fast getting everything back together. <drumroll, please> I accidentally plugged a 12V power supply (from the Wiimote recharger) into the Slug and tried to turn it on. My only defense is that it fit. Anyway, nothing happened. When I plugged the right brick in, the slug still did nothing. It does not light up at all when pushing the power button.

      Interestingly, I have a second Slug which works fine. I have that hooked up now and all is great. However, if I unplug the working Slug, plug in the dead Slug, and try to turn the dead Slug on, no lights or anything.

      Before I toss the dead Slug in the trash, I was wondering if the group can confirm that it's a lost cause. Is it dead?

      Thanks,
      Jason
    • Rob Lockhart
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2009
        On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 14:39, waxdonut <jason@...> wrote:

        > We were moving the living room furniture around to do some painting. When
        > we finished, I was moving a little too fast getting everything back
        > together. <drumroll, please> I accidentally plugged a 12V power supply
        > (from the Wiimote recharger) into the Slug and tried to turn it on. My only
        > defense is that it fit. Anyway, nothing happened. When I plugged the right
        > brick in, the slug still did nothing. It does not light up at all when
        > pushing the power button.
        >
        > Interestingly, I have a second Slug which works fine. I have that hooked
        > up now and all is great. However, if I unplug the working Slug, plug in the
        > dead Slug, and try to turn the dead Slug on, no lights or anything.
        >
        > Before I toss the dead Slug in the trash, I was wondering if the group can
        > confirm that it's a lost cause. Is it dead?

        It depends; do you have a soldering iron, have SMT experience and can
        replace some components? Are you looking to repair this yourself?

        I saw this on the wiki page:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSwitchingSchematic

        Looks like if you're lucky, Q1 would be damaged and might have opened up.
        It's not completely likely as some devices short in failure mode. If you
        have a voltmeter, you can provide power to the NSLU2 and probe various power
        points along the path to determine where it's broken. I'm afraid it will be
        extremely impractical to debug this via the list, and especially if you
        don't have access to a voltmeter or are familiar with such debugging
        techniques. Perhaps you can donate it to the NSLU2 community? :-)

        -Rob