Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Disk dead after reboot

  • Carl Lowenstein
    Message 1 of 12 , May 13, 2009
      On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM, alexander4375 <lists@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights
      > up, but it is inaccessible.
      >
      > I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet
      > to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The
      > web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed
      > and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.
      >
      > So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

      Have you checked to see that the disk is actually spinning? You
      should be able to hear bearing noises when it starts up, and be able
      to feel gyroscope-type forces when you tilt the drive. If the drive
      motor has failed, the platters don't spin. Minimal information as to
      the drive type is still available from the electronics but nothing can
      be read from the platter if it isn't moving under the heads.

      carl
      --
      carl lowenstein <clowenstein@...>
    • alexander4375
      Message 2 of 12 , May 13, 2009

        Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and corrected a number of errors.

        Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible either through the web interface or telnet.

        So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

        Thanks for all the help,

        Sandy

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

        > Sandy,
        >
        > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
        > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the same
        > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
        > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get a
        > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
        > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or take
        > especially on sale.
        >
        > Urban
      • Urban Cubbage
        Message 3 of 12 , May 13, 2009
          You have just identified that the drive enclosure is bad. You can buy a
          drive enclosure and put that drive into it. I have bought several over the
          years with cost starting at $15.00 and up. Make sure you buy one that is
          self powered since an unpowered enclosure will cause troubles with the slog.

          Urban

          Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed
          I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and
          removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted
          with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and
          corrected a number of errors.

          Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the
          slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible
          either through the web interface or telnet.

          So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable
          HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

          Thanks for all the help,

          Sandy

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

          > Sandy,
          >
          > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
          > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the
          same
          > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
          > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get
          > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
          > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or
          take
          > especially on sale.
          >
          > Urban

        • satman99uk
          Message 4 of 12 , May 15, 2009
            I would think the power supply cannot supply enough current to start spinning the platters.

            Make sure any replacement power supply is the same output voltage and the current is the same or more.

            Bob