Re: Disk dead after reboot

  • alexander4375
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11, 2009

      Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights up, but it is inaccessible.

      I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.

      So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

      Thanks,

      Sandy

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar <bizkutrai@...> wrote:

      > It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.
      >
      > Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
    • Urban Cubbage
      Message 2 of 12 , May 12, 2009
        Sandy,

        I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
        the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the same
        as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
        more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get a
        new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
        reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or take
        especially on sale.

        Urban

        Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights
        up, but it is inaccessible.

        I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet
        to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The
        web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed
        and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.

        So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

        Thanks,

        Sandy

        Roland,

        Thanks for the links. I think I hav ecome to the conclusion that although
        the light is on on the HDD it is in fact dead!

        I have failed to access the drive:
        a. Through the slug web interface
        b. Through telnet
        c. On a windows PC
        d. On a Ubuntu CD booted on a PC

        Nothing seems to work to access the drive at all. The only sign of life was
        that when I connected it to my PC windows found the drive and identified it
        as a Maxtor 2300 but then came up with an error and there was no way I could
        access the drive.

        Only good thing is that I have a recent backup! So, unless there are any
        other suggestions means that I will next try dismantling the Maxtor
        enclosure and see if I can connect it in any other way.

        Many thanks,

        wrote:

        > It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.
        >
        > Hasanuddin Abu Bakar

      • John
        Message 3 of 12 , May 12, 2009
          On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 03:20:17PM -0000, alexander4375 wrote:
          > Roland,
          >
          > Thanks for the links. I think I hav ecome to the conclusion that although the light is on on the HDD it is in fact dead!
          >
          > I have failed to access the drive:
          > a. Through the slug web interface
          > b. Through telnet
          > c. On a windows PC
          > d. On a Ubuntu CD booted on a PC
          >
          > Nothing seems to work to access the drive at all. The only sign of life was that when I connected it to my PC windows found the drive and identified it as a Maxtor 2300 but then came up with an error and there was no way I could access the drive.

          Before dismantling, you might try the following: On an up and
          running linux computer (Ubuntu desktop or slug or whatever), plug
          in the hard drive. Then look at /var/log/messages (or wherever
          your version of linux puts log messages) and look at the last few
          lines. There should be a series of lines related to the appearance
          of the new USB device. If error messages appear, google on them.
          On the other hand, if successful, the kernel will assign a device
          (/dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or something) to the drive. Using that
          device name, then, as root, see if the drive has a valid partition
          table:

          fdisk -l /dev/sdc

          If the drive was natively formated by the slug, you should see two
          ext3 partitions and one swap partition (but I forget which order
          the slug puts them in). For each ext3 partition you see, run
          fdisk, e.g.:

          fdisk /dev/sdc1
          fdisk /dev/sdc2

          At this point, you should have a good idea what the condition of
          the drive is.

          John
        • Carl Lowenstein
          Message 4 of 12 , May 13, 2009
            On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM, alexander4375 <lists@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights
            > up, but it is inaccessible.
            >
            > I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet
            > to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The
            > web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed
            > and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.
            >
            > So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

            Have you checked to see that the disk is actually spinning? You
            should be able to hear bearing noises when it starts up, and be able
            to feel gyroscope-type forces when you tilt the drive. If the drive
            motor has failed, the platters don't spin. Minimal information as to
            the drive type is still available from the electronics but nothing can
            be read from the platter if it isn't moving under the heads.

            carl
            --
            carl lowenstein <clowenstein@...>
          • alexander4375
            Message 5 of 12 , May 13, 2009

              Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and corrected a number of errors.

              Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible either through the web interface or telnet.

              So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

              Thanks for all the help,

              Sandy

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

              > Sandy,
              >
              > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
              > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the same
              > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
              > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get a
              > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
              > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or take
              > especially on sale.
              >
              > Urban
            • Urban Cubbage
              Message 6 of 12 , May 13, 2009
                You have just identified that the drive enclosure is bad. You can buy a
                drive enclosure and put that drive into it. I have bought several over the
                years with cost starting at $15.00 and up. Make sure you buy one that is
                self powered since an unpowered enclosure will cause troubles with the slog.

                Urban

                Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed
                I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and
                removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted
                with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and
                corrected a number of errors.

                Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the
                slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible
                either through the web interface or telnet.

                So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable
                HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

                Thanks for all the help,

                Sandy

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

                > Sandy,
                >
                > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
                > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the
                same
                > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
                > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get
                > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
                > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or
                take
                > especially on sale.
                >
                > Urban

              • satman99uk
                Message 7 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                  I would think the power supply cannot supply enough current to start spinning the platters.

                  Make sure any replacement power supply is the same output voltage and the current is the same or more.

                  Bob