Re: Disk dead after reboot

  • alexander4375
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11 2:17 PM

      Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights up, but it is inaccessible.

      I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.

      So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

      Thanks,

      Sandy

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar <bizkutrai@...> wrote:

      > It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.
      >
      > Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
    • alexander4375
      Message 2 of 12 , May 12 8:20 AM
        Roland,

        Thanks for the links. I think I hav ecome to the conclusion that although the light is on on the HDD it is in fact dead!

        I have failed to access the drive:
        a. Through the slug web interface
        b. Through telnet
        c. On a windows PC
        d. On a Ubuntu CD booted on a PC

        Nothing seems to work to access the drive at all. The only sign of life was that when I connected it to my PC windows found the drive and identified it as a Maxtor 2300 but then came up with an error and there was no way I could access the drive.

        Only good thing is that I have a recent backup! So, unless there are any other suggestions means that I will next try dismantling the Maxtor enclosure and see if I can connect it in any other way.

        Many thanks,

        Sandy

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rolandkbs" <roland.krebs@...> wrote:

        > Hi Sandy
        >
        > Have a look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors
        > (Depending on which port you connect the drive, you may have to replace on fsck '/dev/sda1' with '/devs/sdb1' etc.)
        >
        > If this doesn't help, there's another howto at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DiskNotRecognized
        >
        > Best regards
        > Roland
      • Urban Cubbage
        Message 3 of 12 , May 12 4:27 PM
          Sandy,

          I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
          the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the same
          as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
          more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get a
          new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
          reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or take
          especially on sale.

          Urban

          wrote:

          > It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.
          >
          > Hasanuddin Abu Bakar

        • John
          Message 4 of 12 , May 12 4:46 PM
            On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 03:20:17PM -0000, alexander4375 wrote:
            > Roland,
            >
            > Thanks for the links. I think I hav ecome to the conclusion that although the light is on on the HDD it is in fact dead!
            >
            > I have failed to access the drive:
            > a. Through the slug web interface
            > b. Through telnet
            > c. On a windows PC
            > d. On a Ubuntu CD booted on a PC
            >
            > Nothing seems to work to access the drive at all. The only sign of life was that when I connected it to my PC windows found the drive and identified it as a Maxtor 2300 but then came up with an error and there was no way I could access the drive.

            Before dismantling, you might try the following: On an up and
            running linux computer (Ubuntu desktop or slug or whatever), plug
            in the hard drive. Then look at /var/log/messages (or wherever
            your version of linux puts log messages) and look at the last few
            lines. There should be a series of lines related to the appearance
            of the new USB device. If error messages appear, google on them.
            On the other hand, if successful, the kernel will assign a device
            (/dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or something) to the drive. Using that
            device name, then, as root, see if the drive has a valid partition
            table:

            fdisk -l /dev/sdc

            If the drive was natively formated by the slug, you should see two
            ext3 partitions and one swap partition (but I forget which order
            the slug puts them in). For each ext3 partition you see, run
            fdisk, e.g.:

            fdisk /dev/sdc1
            fdisk /dev/sdc2

            At this point, you should have a good idea what the condition of
            the drive is.

            John
          • Carl Lowenstein
            Message 5 of 12 , May 13 8:21 AM
              On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM, alexander4375 <lists@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights
              > up, but it is inaccessible.
              >
              > I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet
              > to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The
              > web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed
              > and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.
              >
              > So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

              Have you checked to see that the disk is actually spinning? You
              should be able to hear bearing noises when it starts up, and be able
              to feel gyroscope-type forces when you tilt the drive. If the drive
              motor has failed, the platters don't spin. Minimal information as to
              the drive type is still available from the electronics but nothing can
              be read from the platter if it isn't moving under the heads.

              carl
              --
              carl lowenstein <clowenstein@...>
            • alexander4375
              Message 6 of 12 , May 13 9:57 AM

                Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and corrected a number of errors.

                Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible either through the web interface or telnet.

                So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

                Thanks for all the help,

                Sandy

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

                > Sandy,
                >
                > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
                > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the same
                > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
                > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get a
                > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
                > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or take
                > especially on sale.
                >
                > Urban
              • Urban Cubbage
                Message 7 of 12 , May 13 12:48 PM
                  You have just identified that the drive enclosure is bad. You can buy a
                  drive enclosure and put that drive into it. I have bought several over the
                  years with cost starting at $15.00 and up. Make sure you buy one that is
                  self powered since an unpowered enclosure will cause troubles with the slog.

                  Urban

                  Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed
                  I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and
                  removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted
                  with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and
                  corrected a number of errors.

                  Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the
                  slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible
                  either through the web interface or telnet.

                  So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable
                  HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

                  Thanks for all the help,

                  Sandy

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

                  > Sandy,
                  >
                  > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
                  > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the
                  same
                  > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
                  > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get
                  > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
                  > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or
                  take
                  > especially on sale.
                  >
                  > Urban

                • satman99uk
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 15 2:18 AM
                    I would think the power supply cannot supply enough current to start spinning the platters.

                    Make sure any replacement power supply is the same output voltage and the current is the same or more.

                    Bob