Re: [nslu2-general] Disk dead after reboot

  • Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11, 2009
      It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.

      Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
      -------------------------------
      Ubuntu embedded developer/tester
      https://wiki.ubuntu.com/bizkut

      Get FireGPG for your Firefox! http://getfiregpg.org

      PGP Public Key
      http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xD25748FC1754D52DAFA5EA8EC5A1B11965D43C5C&op=index

      On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:38 PM, alexander4375 <lists@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > New to this list and hope someone can help me!
      >
      > I have been using an Unslung NSLU2 for 3 years or more very happily with a
      > Maxtor 3200 HDD. From memory (it was a long time ago that I set this up) the
      > HDD was formatted on the slug as a linux drive (EXT2/3?) not FAT32 or NTFS.
      >
      > A week ago I went on holiday and as I have done before I turned the slug
      > and HDD off (can't remember what order I did this in). On my return I
      > powered up the HDD (light came on) and then the slug (top two lights come
      > on).
      >
      > BUT - no HDD.
      >
      > The web interface says the drive is 'Not Installed'
      >
      > If I connect the drive directly to a PC the PCC recognises a new USB device
      > but I cannot see the drive in the list of drives on the PC.
      >
      > The firmware on the slug is V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta
      >
      > I can telnet to the slug but that doesn't help. I have tried everything
      > that I can find on nslu2-linux.org and no difference.
      >
      > Any help greatly appreciated!
      >
      > Sandy

    • Urban Cubbage
      Message 2 of 12 , May 11, 2009
        One of the things I have found is that PC's, when they have large hard
        drives connected up to them will see the USB device but not show a drive.
        Reboot and if the disk is good you will see the drive displayed. This kind
        of drove me crazy until I found a forum entry about this. So give the
        reboot a try, if the OS still does not see it the disk has problems.

        Urban

        Message 3 of 12 , May 11, 2009
          Hi Sandy

          Have a look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors
          (Depending on which port you connect the drive, you may have to replace on fsck '/dev/sda1' with '/devs/sdb1' etc.)

          If this doesn't help, there's another howto at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DiskNotRecognized

          Best regards
          Roland

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "alexander4375" <lists@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > New to this list and hope someone can help me!
          >
          > I have been using an Unslung NSLU2 for 3 years or more very happily with a Maxtor 3200 HDD. From memory (it was a long time ago that I set this up) the HDD was formatted on the slug as a linux drive (EXT2/3?) not FAT32 or NTFS.
          >
          > A week ago I went on holiday and as I have done before I turned the slug and HDD off (can't remember what order I did this in). On my return I powered up the HDD (light came on) and then the slug (top two lights come on).
          >
          > BUT - no HDD.
          >
          > The web interface says the drive is 'Not Installed'
          >
          > If I connect the drive directly to a PC the PCC recognises a new USB device but I cannot see the drive in the list of drives on the PC.
          >
          > The firmware on the slug is V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta
          >
          > I can telnet to the slug but that doesn't help. I have tried everything that I can find on nslu2-linux.org and no difference.
          >
          > Any help greatly appreciated!
          >
          > Sandy

        • alexander4375
          Message 4 of 12 , May 11, 2009

            Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights up, but it is inaccessible.

            I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.

            So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

            Thanks,

            Sandy

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar <bizkutrai@...> wrote:

            > It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.
            >
            > Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
          • alexander4375
            Message 5 of 12 , May 12, 2009
              Roland,

              Thanks for the links. I think I hav ecome to the conclusion that although the light is on on the HDD it is in fact dead!

              I have failed to access the drive:
              a. Through the slug web interface
              b. Through telnet
              c. On a windows PC
              d. On a Ubuntu CD booted on a PC

              Nothing seems to work to access the drive at all. The only sign of life was that when I connected it to my PC windows found the drive and identified it as a Maxtor 2300 but then came up with an error and there was no way I could access the drive.

              Only good thing is that I have a recent backup! So, unless there are any other suggestions means that I will next try dismantling the Maxtor enclosure and see if I can connect it in any other way.

              Many thanks,

              Sandy

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rolandkbs" <roland.krebs@...> wrote:

              > Hi Sandy
              >
              > Have a look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors
              > (Depending on which port you connect the drive, you may have to replace on fsck '/dev/sda1' with '/devs/sdb1' etc.)
              >
              > If this doesn't help, there's another howto at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DiskNotRecognized
              >
              > Best regards
              > Roland
            • Urban Cubbage
              Message 6 of 12 , May 12, 2009
                Sandy,

                I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
                the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the same
                as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
                more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get a
                new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
                reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or take
                especially on sale.

                Urban

                wrote:

                > It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.
                >
                > Hasanuddin Abu Bakar

              • John
                Message 7 of 12 , May 12, 2009
                  On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 03:20:17PM -0000, alexander4375 wrote:
                  > Roland,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the links. I think I hav ecome to the conclusion that although the light is on on the HDD it is in fact dead!
                  >
                  > I have failed to access the drive:
                  > a. Through the slug web interface
                  > b. Through telnet
                  > c. On a windows PC
                  > d. On a Ubuntu CD booted on a PC
                  >
                  > Nothing seems to work to access the drive at all. The only sign of life was that when I connected it to my PC windows found the drive and identified it as a Maxtor 2300 but then came up with an error and there was no way I could access the drive.

                  Before dismantling, you might try the following: On an up and
                  running linux computer (Ubuntu desktop or slug or whatever), plug
                  in the hard drive. Then look at /var/log/messages (or wherever
                  your version of linux puts log messages) and look at the last few
                  lines. There should be a series of lines related to the appearance
                  of the new USB device. If error messages appear, google on them.
                  On the other hand, if successful, the kernel will assign a device
                  (/dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or something) to the drive. Using that
                  device name, then, as root, see if the drive has a valid partition
                  table:

                  fdisk -l /dev/sdc

                  If the drive was natively formated by the slug, you should see two
                  ext3 partitions and one swap partition (but I forget which order
                  the slug puts them in). For each ext3 partition you see, run
                  fdisk, e.g.:

                  fdisk /dev/sdc1
                  fdisk /dev/sdc2

                  At this point, you should have a good idea what the condition of
                  the drive is.

                  John
                • Carl Lowenstein
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 13, 2009
                    On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM, alexander4375 <lists@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights
                    > up, but it is inaccessible.
                    >
                    > I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet
                    > to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The
                    > web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed
                    > and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.
                    >
                    > So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

                    Have you checked to see that the disk is actually spinning? You
                    should be able to hear bearing noises when it starts up, and be able
                    to feel gyroscope-type forces when you tilt the drive. If the drive
                    motor has failed, the platters don't spin. Minimal information as to
                    the drive type is still available from the electronics but nothing can
                    be read from the platter if it isn't moving under the heads.

                    carl
                    --
                    carl lowenstein <clowenstein@...>
                  • alexander4375
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 13, 2009

                      Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and corrected a number of errors.

                      Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible either through the web interface or telnet.

                      So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

                      Thanks for all the help,

                      Sandy

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

                      > Sandy,
                      >
                      > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
                      > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the same
                      > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
                      > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get a
                      > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
                      > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or take
                      > especially on sale.
                      >
                      > Urban
                    • Urban Cubbage
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 13, 2009
                        You have just identified that the drive enclosure is bad. You can buy a
                        drive enclosure and put that drive into it. I have bought several over the
                        years with cost starting at $15.00 and up. Make sure you buy one that is
                        self powered since an unpowered enclosure will cause troubles with the slog.

                        Urban

                        Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed
                        I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and
                        removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted
                        with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and
                        corrected a number of errors.

                        Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the
                        slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible
                        either through the web interface or telnet.

                        So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable
                        HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

                        Thanks for all the help,

                        Sandy

                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

                        > Sandy,
                        >
                        > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
                        > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the
                        same
                        > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
                        > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get
                        > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
                        > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or
                        take
                        > especially on sale.
                        >
                        > Urban

                      • satman99uk
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 15, 2009
                          I would think the power supply cannot supply enough current to start spinning the platters.

                          Make sure any replacement power supply is the same output voltage and the current is the same or more.

                          Bob