Disk dead after reboot

  • alexander4375
    Message 1 of 12 , May 10 11:38 PM

      New to this list and hope someone can help me!

      I have been using an Unslung NSLU2 for 3 years or more very happily with a Maxtor 3200 HDD. From memory (it was a long time ago that I set this up) the HDD was formatted on the slug as a linux drive (EXT2/3?) not FAT32 or NTFS.

      A week ago I went on holiday and as I have done before I turned the slug and HDD off (can't remember what order I did this in). On my return I powered up the HDD (light came on) and then the slug (top two lights come on).

      BUT - no HDD.

      The web interface says the drive is 'Not Installed'

      If I connect the drive directly to a PC the PCC recognises a new USB device but I cannot see the drive in the list of drives on the PC.

      The firmware on the slug is V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta

      I can telnet to the slug but that doesn't help. I have tried everything that I can find on nslu2-linux.org and no difference.

      Any help greatly appreciated!

      Sandy
    • Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
      Message 2 of 12 , May 11 11:49 AM
        It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.

        Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
        -------------------------------
        Ubuntu embedded developer/tester
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/bizkut

        Get FireGPG for your Firefox! http://getfiregpg.org

        PGP Public Key
        http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xD25748FC1754D52DAFA5EA8EC5A1B11965D43C5C&op=index

        On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:38 PM, alexander4375 <lists@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > New to this list and hope someone can help me!
        >
        > I have been using an Unslung NSLU2 for 3 years or more very happily with a
        > Maxtor 3200 HDD. From memory (it was a long time ago that I set this up) the
        > HDD was formatted on the slug as a linux drive (EXT2/3?) not FAT32 or NTFS.
        >
        > A week ago I went on holiday and as I have done before I turned the slug
        > and HDD off (can't remember what order I did this in). On my return I
        > powered up the HDD (light came on) and then the slug (top two lights come
        > on).
        >
        > BUT - no HDD.
        >
        > The web interface says the drive is 'Not Installed'
        >
        > If I connect the drive directly to a PC the PCC recognises a new USB device
        > but I cannot see the drive in the list of drives on the PC.
        >
        > The firmware on the slug is V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta
        >
        > I can telnet to the slug but that doesn't help. I have tried everything
        > that I can find on nslu2-linux.org and no difference.
        >
        > Any help greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Sandy

      • Urban Cubbage
        Message 3 of 12 , May 11 11:52 AM
          One of the things I have found is that PC's, when they have large hard
          drives connected up to them will see the USB device but not show a drive.
          Reboot and if the disk is good you will see the drive displayed. This kind
          of drove me crazy until I found a forum entry about this. So give the
          reboot a try, if the OS still does not see it the disk has problems.

          Urban

          Message 4 of 12 , May 11 12:09 PM
            Hi Sandy

            Have a look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors
            (Depending on which port you connect the drive, you may have to replace on fsck '/dev/sda1' with '/devs/sdb1' etc.)

            If this doesn't help, there's another howto at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DiskNotRecognized

            Best regards
            Roland

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "alexander4375" <lists@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > New to this list and hope someone can help me!
            >
            > I have been using an Unslung NSLU2 for 3 years or more very happily with a Maxtor 3200 HDD. From memory (it was a long time ago that I set this up) the HDD was formatted on the slug as a linux drive (EXT2/3?) not FAT32 or NTFS.
            >
            > A week ago I went on holiday and as I have done before I turned the slug and HDD off (can't remember what order I did this in). On my return I powered up the HDD (light came on) and then the slug (top two lights come on).
            >
            > BUT - no HDD.
            >
            > The web interface says the drive is 'Not Installed'
            >
            > If I connect the drive directly to a PC the PCC recognises a new USB device but I cannot see the drive in the list of drives on the PC.
            >
            > The firmware on the slug is V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta
            >
            > I can telnet to the slug but that doesn't help. I have tried everything that I can find on nslu2-linux.org and no difference.
            >
            > Any help greatly appreciated!
            >
            > Sandy

          • alexander4375
            Message 5 of 12 , May 11 2:17 PM

              Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights up, but it is inaccessible.

              I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.

              So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

              Thanks,

              Sandy

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Hasanuddin Abu Bakar <bizkutrai@...> wrote:

              > It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.
              >
              > Hasanuddin Abu Bakar
            • alexander4375
              Message 6 of 12 , May 12 8:20 AM
                Roland,

                Thanks for the links. I think I hav ecome to the conclusion that although the light is on on the HDD it is in fact dead!

                I have failed to access the drive:
                a. Through the slug web interface
                b. Through telnet
                c. On a windows PC
                d. On a Ubuntu CD booted on a PC

                Nothing seems to work to access the drive at all. The only sign of life was that when I connected it to my PC windows found the drive and identified it as a Maxtor 2300 but then came up with an error and there was no way I could access the drive.

                Only good thing is that I have a recent backup! So, unless there are any other suggestions means that I will next try dismantling the Maxtor enclosure and see if I can connect it in any other way.

                Many thanks,

                Sandy

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rolandkbs" <roland.krebs@...> wrote:

                > Hi Sandy
                >
                > Have a look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors
                > (Depending on which port you connect the drive, you may have to replace on fsck '/dev/sda1' with '/devs/sdb1' etc.)
                >
                > If this doesn't help, there's another howto at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DiskNotRecognized
                >
                > Best regards
                > Roland
              • Urban Cubbage
                Message 7 of 12 , May 12 4:27 PM
                  Sandy,

                  I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
                  the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the same
                  as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
                  more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get a
                  new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
                  reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or take
                  especially on sale.

                  Urban

                  wrote:

                  > It's not dead. You need to fsck the partition.
                  >
                  > Hasanuddin Abu Bakar

                • John
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 12 4:46 PM
                    On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 03:20:17PM -0000, alexander4375 wrote:
                    > Roland,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the links. I think I hav ecome to the conclusion that although the light is on on the HDD it is in fact dead!
                    >
                    > I have failed to access the drive:
                    > a. Through the slug web interface
                    > b. Through telnet
                    > c. On a windows PC
                    > d. On a Ubuntu CD booted on a PC
                    >
                    > Nothing seems to work to access the drive at all. The only sign of life was that when I connected it to my PC windows found the drive and identified it as a Maxtor 2300 but then came up with an error and there was no way I could access the drive.

                    Before dismantling, you might try the following: On an up and
                    running linux computer (Ubuntu desktop or slug or whatever), plug
                    in the hard drive. Then look at /var/log/messages (or wherever
                    your version of linux puts log messages) and look at the last few
                    lines. There should be a series of lines related to the appearance
                    of the new USB device. If error messages appear, google on them.
                    On the other hand, if successful, the kernel will assign a device
                    (/dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or something) to the drive. Using that
                    device name, then, as root, see if the drive has a valid partition
                    table:

                    fdisk -l /dev/sdc

                    If the drive was natively formated by the slug, you should see two
                    ext3 partitions and one swap partition (but I forget which order
                    the slug puts them in). For each ext3 partition you see, run
                    fdisk, e.g.:

                    fdisk /dev/sdc1
                    fdisk /dev/sdc2

                    At this point, you should have a good idea what the condition of
                    the drive is.

                    John
                  • Carl Lowenstein
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 13 8:21 AM
                      On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM, alexander4375 <lists@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Sorry - the subject is probably incorrect. The disk is not dead as it lights
                      > up, but it is inaccessible.
                      >
                      > I cannot access the disk through the slug in the normal way or even telnet
                      > to it. When I connect the drive to a PC it does not appear in explorer. The
                      > web interface for the slug simply tells me that there is no disc installed
                      > and won't eith check it or even allow me to format it.
                      >
                      > So how can I access the disk in order to run fsck?

                      Have you checked to see that the disk is actually spinning? You
                      should be able to hear bearing noises when it starts up, and be able
                      to feel gyroscope-type forces when you tilt the drive. If the drive
                      motor has failed, the platters don't spin. Minimal information as to
                      the drive type is still available from the electronics but nothing can
                      be read from the platter if it isn't moving under the heads.

                      carl
                      --
                      carl lowenstein <clowenstein@...>
                    • alexander4375
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 13 9:57 AM

                        Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and corrected a number of errors.

                        Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible either through the web interface or telnet.

                        So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

                        Thanks for all the help,

                        Sandy

                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

                        > Sandy,
                        >
                        > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
                        > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the same
                        > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
                        > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get a
                        > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
                        > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or take
                        > especially on sale.
                        >
                        > Urban
                      • Urban Cubbage
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 13 12:48 PM
                          You have just identified that the drive enclosure is bad. You can buy a
                          drive enclosure and put that drive into it. I have bought several over the
                          years with cost starting at $15.00 and up. Make sure you buy one that is
                          self powered since an unpowered enclosure will cause troubles with the slog.

                          Urban

                          Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. As all else seemed to have failed
                          I took the drastic step of breaking into the Maxtor drive enclosure and
                          removing the drive. I then connected it to an IDE channel on a PC and booted
                          with a Ubuntu CD and managed to run fsck on both partitions which found and
                          corrected a number of errors.

                          Great I thought, and reassembled the drive in the enclosure, rebooted the
                          slug and connected the drive - but still nothing, no drive is accessible
                          either through the web interface or telnet.

                          So, unless anyone comes up with other ideas I think I have gained a useable
                          HDD, but either need a new enclosure or a new external drive.

                          Thanks for all the help,

                          Sandy

                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban Cubbage" <cubbage@...> wrote:

                          > Sandy,
                          >
                          > I have combined you last two emails on this subject and if you cannot see
                          > the disk information with what you have tried I would also conclude the
                          same
                          > as you have, the disk is AWOL, aka dead. Disk drives are really cheap any
                          > more and your time does cost something therefore I am recommending you get
                          > new drive (especially since you have a fairly recent backup) and start the
                          > reinstall. A new drive of the same size (200 GB) is around $50 give or
                          take
                          > especially on sale.
                          >
                          > Urban

                        • satman99uk
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 15 2:18 AM
                            I would think the power supply cannot supply enough current to start spinning the platters.

                            Make sure any replacement power supply is the same output voltage and the current is the same or more.

                            Bob