RE: [nslu2-general] Re: Device side USB

  • Gregg C Levine
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2009
      Hello!
      Very nice. Even better then the ones I've seen for sale at reducing prices
      at Radio Shack.

      Ideally it would be possible. I suggest tracking down a Net2280 Gadget-FS
      card for a Linux computer to explore this method for getting it to work for
      any NSLU2 device. If you were to examine the archives for the Linux-USB
      efforts, you would see much of what is going on there in a similar fashion.

      Now as to the downloads: An announcement that all binary downloads were
      being removed from the Yahoo lists site was posted to this list and to the
      other list sometime earlier.

      I do not know where the referenced ones on that Wiki page were moved to.

      --
      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

      On

      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2009
        Hello,

        i think you are trying something like this:
        which i have tried some years ago. I just went the hardware way.

      • Graham
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11, 2009
          This is proving difficult for a non Linux expert!

          I wonder if anyone who got it to run in the past has a copy of
          openwrt-nslu2-2.6-squashfs.bin
          on their backup disk that can be loaded onto a Slug via upslug2 and make it act as a USB gadget.

          I could host it for others to use.

          http://www.sunspot.co.uk
        • jrnosee@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 12, 2009
            I've been working on this on SlugOS off and on for a few years. It keeps
            eluding me. I had it working once...briefly on uClinux w/ a 2.4 kernel. My
            problem is that I can never remember how to get the modules built and on the
            device properly.

          • Graham
            Message 5 of 10 , May 13, 2009
              A contact who did get it to work sent me the compiled ko files -

              pxa2xx_udc.ko
              g_ether.ko
              g_file_storage.ko
              gadgetfs.ko
              g_serial.ko

              and

              openwrt-nslu2-2.6-squashfs.bin

              for the Slug

              I have got some action from these when I plug into my Mac and a Win PC but no real success yet. It could well be my lack of Linux knowledge.

              If you have a board wired for Gadget USB you may like to see if they run for you.

              My notes of progress so far are here -

              http://www.sunspot.co.uk/Projects/SWEEX/slug/SlugUSBDevice/slug_usb_device.html

              Please have a go!

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, jrnosee@... wrote:

              > I've been working on this on SlugOS off and on for a few years. It keeps
              > eluding me. I had it working once...briefly on uClinux w/ a 2.4 kernel. My
              > problem is that I can never remember how to get the modules built and on the
              > device properly.

            • Graham
              Message 6 of 10 , May 14, 2009
                I followed
                http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/file_storage.html
                to prepare the Slug

                My Macintosh Disk Utility reports -

                Name : Linux File-Stor Gadget Media
                Type : Disk

                Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted
                Disk Identifier : disk2
                Media Name : Linux File-Stor Gadget Media
                Media Type : Generic
                Connection Bus : USB
                USB Serial Number : 3238204E6F76
                Device Tree : /PCI0@0/USB4@1D,3/@4:0
                Locked : Yes
                Writable : No
                Ejectable : Yes
                Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
                Location : External
                Total Capacity : 512 KB (524,288 Bytes)
                S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
                Disk Number : 2
                Partition Number : 0

                For a flash memory stick the Mac reports -

                Name : Corsair Flash Voyager Media
                Type : Disk

                Partition Map Scheme : Master Boot Record
                Disk Identifier : disk2
                Media Name : Corsair Flash Voyager Media
                Media Type : Generic
                Connection Bus : USB
                Device Tree : /PCI0@0/USB7@1D,7/@4:0
                Writable : Yes
                Ejectable : Yes
                Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
                Location : External
                Total Capacity : 1.9 GB (2,051,014,656 Bytes)
                S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
                Disk Number : 2
                Partition Number : 0