Re: Device side USB

  • Graham
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9 1:16 AM
      I have one of these -

      http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151855

      As a minimum I can mount a USB stick on the Slug - record an image from a webcam or whatever - unmount - mount to the frame display
      All under script control with some logic gate switches and a i2c port expander. Since a Flash stick cycles the memory location used a cheap 1Gig stick should last for ages

      But I really want to use the Slug as a "memory stick" for the display and change the picture seen by the frame.
      The frame has lots of buttons and a remote that could be controlled by i2c gpio.

      I hope to get my family on the other side of the planet to load pictures/movies to an always on display.

      Also to see webcam pictures of an egg box in our chicken run!

      The problem with the Wiki is that it refers to file modifications (to get 2.6 to run) in downloads that have no links - so I can't find them.

      Even better wold be a tested binary to load since my Linux skills are "Lesson 1"

      I also wonder if my Debian Slug could do the same.

      Have you got this to run?

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine" <hansolofalcon@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      > Would you do us a favor? Please describe both your photo display device, and
      > your intended application in some what deeper detail then you've given here.
      >
      > I've examined the pages on the Wiki and it makes perfectly good sense to me.
      > The problem is that despite the fact that the original developer's board
      > that the NSLU2 is based on supported the idea behind a gadget interface to a
      > USB connection on an earlier kernel.
      >
      > And this is say about the time the company started their development, but do
      > to advances in technology, and of course several other issues, there are
      > numerous separating issues outlined on that collection of pages.
      >
      > For my part I've looked at both the NSLU2 and several display devices, my
      > problem is that the batch I looked at use the SD card format for storage.
      > --
      > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
      > "The Force will be with you always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

    • Gregg C Levine
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9 9:55 AM
        Hello!
        Very nice. Even better then the ones I've seen for sale at reducing prices
        at Radio Shack.

        Ideally it would be possible. I suggest tracking down a Net2280 Gadget-FS
        card for a Linux computer to explore this method for getting it to work for
        any NSLU2 device. If you were to examine the archives for the Linux-USB
        efforts, you would see much of what is going on there in a similar fashion.

        Now as to the downloads: An announcement that all binary downloads were
        being removed from the Yahoo lists site was posted to this list and to the
        other list sometime earlier.

        I do not know where the referenced ones on that Wiki page were moved to.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 9 1:15 PM
          Hello,

          i think you are trying something like this:
          which i have tried some years ago. I just went the hardware way.

        • Graham
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11 4:32 AM
            This is proving difficult for a non Linux expert!

            I wonder if anyone who got it to run in the past has a copy of
            openwrt-nslu2-2.6-squashfs.bin
            on their backup disk that can be loaded onto a Slug via upslug2 and make it act as a USB gadget.

            I could host it for others to use.

            http://www.sunspot.co.uk
          • jrnosee@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 12 6:47 AM
              I've been working on this on SlugOS off and on for a few years. It keeps
              eluding me. I had it working once...briefly on uClinux w/ a 2.4 kernel. My
              problem is that I can never remember how to get the modules built and on the
              device properly.

            • Graham
              Message 6 of 10 , May 13 6:38 AM
                A contact who did get it to work sent me the compiled ko files -

                pxa2xx_udc.ko
                g_ether.ko
                g_file_storage.ko
                gadgetfs.ko
                g_serial.ko

                and

                openwrt-nslu2-2.6-squashfs.bin

                for the Slug

                I have got some action from these when I plug into my Mac and a Win PC but no real success yet. It could well be my lack of Linux knowledge.

                If you have a board wired for Gadget USB you may like to see if they run for you.

                My notes of progress so far are here -

                http://www.sunspot.co.uk/Projects/SWEEX/slug/SlugUSBDevice/slug_usb_device.html

                Please have a go!

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, jrnosee@... wrote:

                > I've been working on this on SlugOS off and on for a few years. It keeps
                > eluding me. I had it working once...briefly on uClinux w/ a 2.4 kernel. My
                > problem is that I can never remember how to get the modules built and on the
                > device properly.

              • Graham
                Message 7 of 10 , May 14 8:27 AM
                  I followed
                  http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/file_storage.html
                  to prepare the Slug

                  My Macintosh Disk Utility reports -

                  Name : Linux File-Stor Gadget Media
                  Type : Disk

                  Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted
                  Disk Identifier : disk2
                  Media Name : Linux File-Stor Gadget Media
                  Media Type : Generic
                  Connection Bus : USB
                  USB Serial Number : 3238204E6F76
                  Device Tree : /PCI0@0/USB4@1D,3/@4:0
                  Locked : Yes
                  Writable : No
                  Ejectable : Yes
                  Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
                  Location : External
                  Total Capacity : 512 KB (524,288 Bytes)
                  S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
                  Disk Number : 2
                  Partition Number : 0

                  For a flash memory stick the Mac reports -

                  Name : Corsair Flash Voyager Media
                  Type : Disk

                  Partition Map Scheme : Master Boot Record
                  Disk Identifier : disk2
                  Media Name : Corsair Flash Voyager Media
                  Media Type : Generic
                  Connection Bus : USB
                  Device Tree : /PCI0@0/USB7@1D,7/@4:0
                  Writable : Yes
                  Ejectable : Yes
                  Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
                  Location : External
                  Total Capacity : 1.9 GB (2,051,014,656 Bytes)
                  S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
                  Disk Number : 2
                  Partition Number : 0