Re: Global profile for ash

  • jl0242
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
      Thanks Rod, you've hit the nail on the head there. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the busybox 'find' applet in action here. A few questions:

      1. Is there any problem in me symlinking /bin/sh to /opt/bin/bash? (I have bash installed). Will this affect any core Unslung (6.10) functionality?

      2. Has the 'find' applet always been included in the BusyBox config for Unslung? I'm not sure entirely certain why, but I never had these problems before I moved to Unslung 6.10 recently. The other examples I've found on the list all seem to have been posted since Unslung 6.10.

      3. Is there a reason that Unslung is still using BusyBox 1.3.1? They look to have got to 1.14.x now.

      Thanks for the help!

      Cheers,
      joe

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:

      > jl0242 wrote:
      > > I'm starting to think there is a bigger problem here. I've been doing some googling on this "No help available" error and it actually sounds like it's a bug:
      > > http://www.mail-archive.com/busybox@.../msg00793.html
      > >
      > > I installed 'which' via ipkg. Have a look at this output (something's not right here IMO):
      > >
      > > # which find
      > > /opt/bin/find
      > > # find -maxdepth 1
      > > BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) multi-call binary
      > >
      > > No help available.
      > >

      > If your shell is actually a symlink to busybox, and busybox has 'find'
      > enabled as an applet, then I think it will find the applet first ahead
      > of whatever is in the path. Only if you give a full pathname
      > (/opt/bin/find) will it ignore the in-built find applet.
      >
      > -- Rod

    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
        jl0242 wrote:
        > Thanks Rod, you've hit the nail on the head there. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the busybox 'find' applet in action here. A few questions:
        >
        > 1. Is there any problem in me symlinking /bin/sh to /opt/bin/bash? (I have bash installed). Will this affect any core Unslung (6.10) functionality?

        Don't do that. As others have already pointed out, there are numerous
        other ways to ensure that you get the correct "find" utility.

        There are differences between /bin/sh (the busybox "ash" shell) and bash
        -- these differences may result in strange behavior of your device, or
        may even prevent it from booting correctly.

        I'm still confused - why not just set the default shell for your login
        account to /bin/bash, and be done with all this? If you need to run
        bash for some reason from a startup script then just invoke bash
        directly from your startup script:

        S99MyStrangeProgram:

        #!/bin/bash
        do whatever stuff one needs...

        > 2. Has the 'find' applet always been included in the BusyBox config for Unslung? I'm not sure entirely certain why, but I never had these problems before I moved to Unslung 6.10 recently. The other examples I've found on the list all seem to have been posted since Unslung 6.10.

        No. A great deal of work was done to make it possible to use the
        busybox find applet, in order to save flash space.

        > 3. Is there a reason that Unslung is still using BusyBox 1.3.1? They look to have got to 1.14.x now.

        Er -- Unslung 6.x pre-dates busybox 1.14 by a loooong ways. You have to
        look at what was generally considered a stable version of busybox back
        when Unslung 6.x development was underway.

        Also, there's the need for flash space; the design goal for the 6.x
        busybox was to add the applets necessary to be able to do the unsling
        operation with a minimum of extra flash space consumed, and to do so
        while retaining compatibility with the busybox version shipped by
        Linksys (because of dependencies and custom Linksys patches to busybox).

        The intent is that should one require non-busybox utils, one would
        install procps, core-utils, bash, etc. and set the appropriate shells
        and paths (as has been suggested in previous emails).

        Mike (mwester)