Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Slug wont boot - flashing ready/status and no beep forthcoming

  • Thomas Cooper
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2009
      Sounds like the classic power supply problem... Perhaps with the flash drive
      plugged in, it is not actually booting up.
      Try a different power supply.

      On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM, jl0242 <japher@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > > 6. Booted the slug again with no USB flash drive
      > > > 7. Logged in via telnet and took a copy of /var/log/messages
      > > >
      > > > The result is here:
      > > > http://pastebin.com/fc17b6d0
      > > >
      > > > Some observations on the content:
      > > >
      > > > As far as I can tell, there has been no logging at all to
      > /var/log/messages whilst the USB flash drive was plugged in. The shutdown at
      > 14:00 is shown at the first line, then everything else looks to be related
      > to the booting without USB flash drive plugged in (step 6). This ends with
      > me loggin in (step 7) which is shown in the log.
      > > >
      > > > The only problems in the log look to be:
      > > > <44>Jan 1 01:00:39 klogd: Warning: bad configuration page, trying to
      > continue
      > > > <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: [error] ixEthMiiPhyScan : unexpected Mii PHY
      > ID 00008201
      > > > <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixp0 is using the PHY at address
      > 1
      > > > <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixp1 is using the PHY at address
      > 0
      > > > <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixEthMiiLinkStatus failed on
      > PHY0.
      > > > <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ^ICan't determine
      > > >
      > > > They didn't stop the slug booting though (assuming that I have
      > correctly identified the log as showing the boot from step 6).
      > > >

      > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com <nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > boot as normal. I think it's down to an invalid configuration (because this
      > is the first reboot after some config changes), but I'm not having any luck
      > fixing it so far.

      > files), the slug can boot. I can access the http admin console, turn on
      > telnet and telnet in to the slug.

      > show for eth and disk 2, but the ready/status light just blinks (steadily)
      > and the beep never comes.

      > after I did that. I had it configured to boot at startup (made changes in
      > /unslung/rc.xinetd to insert a line into /etc/inetd.conf), but after
      > uninstalling I removed this script and reverted /etc/inetd.conf. I'm pretty
      > sure I've removed everything related to vsftp, as there's nothing on the USB
      > flash drive relating to vsftp (I've grep'd around using another linux box).

      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/7163). However
      > the symptoms seem a bit different here (no orange light, just normal boot
      > sequence that never seems to end). I've also used another linux box to run
      > fsck on my flash drive. A few errors were fixed (orphaned nodes or
      > something) but this hasn't helped.

      > I can't boot with the USB flash drive installed, so I can't run dmesg.
      > However I can boot without the flash drive and telnet in - but then dmesg
      > wont tell my much. I've checked /var/log/messages on the flash drive, but
      > there's been no messages since this all started. If I boot with the flash
      > drive installed, then turn off the slug and browse the flash drive with
      > another linux box, are there any logs that I can use to see what happened

    • jl0242
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 23, 2009
        Slug seems to be working fine after the reflash (with a USB stick, passive USB hub and two external HDDs plugged in), so I expect the power supply is okay. I did have the classic power supply problems about a year ago, so I'm probably about due for that to give out again soon!

        The symptoms here didn't seem as severe as when the power supply was dying last year. No orange lights this time around, just a boot sequence that looked very normal but never seemed to finish the final stages.