Re: Slug wont boot - flashing ready/status and no beep forthcoming

  • rolandkbs
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19 8:48 AM
      Hi Joe

      I can't tell you where the problem is, but maybe it helps you to know what usually is in the log file. So on mine it continues with:

      <44>Jan 1 01:00:21 klogd: ^ICan't determine
      <44>Jan 1 01:00:21 klogd: the auto negotiated parameters. Using default values.
      <44>Jan 1 01:00:21 klogd: enable_irq(22) unbalanced from c39451bc
      <46>Jan 1 01:00:21 klogd: X1226: I2C based RTC driver.
      <44>Jan 1 01:00:21 klogd: i2c-core.o: driver X1226 registered.
      <46>Jan 1 01:00:21 klogd: X1226: found X1226 on IXP425 I2C Adapter
      <44>Jan 1 01:00:21 klogd: i2c-core.o: client [X1226] registered to adapter [IXP
      <44>Jan 1 01:00:21 klogd: atr is 20
      <45>Jan 1 01:00:21 klogd: ufsd: driver loaded
      <46>Jan 1 01:00:23 klogd: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
      <44>Jan 1 01:00:23 klogd: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
      <46>Jan 1 01:00:23 klogd: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on sd(8,1), internal journal
      <46>Jan 1 01:00:23 klogd: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
      ...etc....
      For whatever reason, the journaling demon is not started on your Slug.

      Roland

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > The only problems in the log look to be:
      > <44>Jan 1 01:00:39 klogd: Warning: bad configuration page, trying to continue
      > <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: [error] ixEthMiiPhyScan : unexpected Mii PHY ID 00008201
      > <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixp0 is using the PHY at address 1
      > <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixp1 is using the PHY at address 0
      > <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixEthMiiLinkStatus failed on PHY0.
      > <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ^ICan't determine
      >
      > They didn't stop the slug booting though (assuming that I have correctly identified the log as showing the boot from step 6).
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jl0242" <japher@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I'm running Unslung 6.8 and after a recent power cut my slug now wont boot as normal. I think it's down to an invalid configuration (because this is the first reboot after some config changes), but I'm not having any luck fixing it so far.
      > >
      > > Here's the state of things right now:
      > >
      > > 1. Booting without my USB flash drive (which holds unslung system files), the slug can boot. I can access the http admin console, turn on telnet and telnet in to the slug.
      > >
      > > 2. Booting with my USB flash drive plugged in, causes green lights to show for eth and disk 2, but the ready/status light just blinks (steadily) and the beep never comes.
      > >
      > > I recently uninstalled vsftp, and this is probably the first reboot after I did that. I had it configured to boot at startup (made changes in /unslung/rc.xinetd to insert a line into /etc/inetd.conf), but after uninstalling I removed this script and reverted /etc/inetd.conf. I'm pretty sure I've removed everything related to vsftp, as there's nothing on the USB flash drive relating to vsftp (I've grep'd around using another linux box).
      > >
      > > Last time something similar happened, it was the PSU (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/7163). However the symptoms seem a bit different here (no orange light, just normal boot sequence that never seems to end). I've also used another linux box to run fsck on my flash drive. A few errors were fixed (orphaned nodes or something) but this hasn't helped.
      > >
      > > What's the best way to record what's actually going on at boot time? I can't boot with the USB flash drive installed, so I can't run dmesg. However I can boot without the flash drive and telnet in - but then dmesg wont tell my much. I've checked /var/log/messages on the flash drive, but there's been no messages since this all started. If I boot with the flash drive installed, then turn off the slug and browse the flash drive with another linux box, are there any logs that I can use to see what happened during the boot?

    • jl0242
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19 9:06 AM
        Hi Roland,

        My log is collected from a boot up _without_ the USB flash drive (containing the unslung system) connected. Would this be why the journaling demon does not start? As mentioned above, I don't seem to be able to collect the details of a boot that _does_ have the USB flash drive connected.

        Roland, could you do me a massive favour and start your slug _without_ your USB flash drive (or whatever drive you did your unslinging to) connected and check the boot messages? (or is this what you just did?)

        Is there no way to check exactly what is happening at boot-up without connected to the serial port? Is there no other log anywhere i can check? :)

        One last thought: If I just boot with no USB flash drive, then plu a clean USB flash drive in and unsling again, would this (in theory) get me back to a clean unslung system that should boot?

        Cheers!

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "rolandkbs" <roland.krebs@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > >
        > > > What's the best way to record what's actually going on at boot time? I can't boot with the USB flash drive installed, so I can't run dmesg. However I can boot without the flash drive and telnet in - but then dmesg wont tell my much. I've checked /var/log/messages on the flash drive, but there's been no messages since this all started. If I boot with the flash drive installed, then turn off the slug and browse the flash drive with another linux box, are there any logs that I can use to see what happened during the boot?

      • Thomas Cooper
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 19 9:17 AM
          Sounds like the classic power supply problem... Perhaps with the flash drive
          plugged in, it is not actually booting up.
          Try a different power supply.

          On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM, jl0242 <japher@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > flash drive relating to vsftp (I've grep'd around using another linux box).

          > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/7163). However
          > the symptoms seem a bit different here (no orange light, just normal boot
          > sequence that never seems to end). I've also used another linux box to run
          > fsck on my flash drive. A few errors were fixed (orphaned nodes or
          > something) but this hasn't helped.

          > I can't boot with the USB flash drive installed, so I can't run dmesg.
          > However I can boot without the flash drive and telnet in - but then dmesg
          > wont tell my much. I've checked /var/log/messages on the flash drive, but
          > there's been no messages since this all started. If I boot with the flash
          > drive installed, then turn off the slug and browse the flash drive with
          > another linux box, are there any logs that I can use to see what happened

        • rolandkbs
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 19 1:18 PM
            Hi Joe

            My log from the boot without a disk I've put at the end of this mail. The line from 18:11:14 shows what happened when I added the the two USB-Disks.

            I'm not an unslung-expert, but just a user. I don't know of any other log files or log possibilities. However, I've noticed, that by using the command 'init s' the system reboots, redirecting the output to your telnet session.

            Have you already checked http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TroubleshootADriveMissingCondition ?

            To start from scatch, I would restart according http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware

> [...]

            > > > The only problems in the log look to be:
            > > > <44>Jan 1 01:00:39 klogd: Warning: bad configuration page, trying to continue
            > > > <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: [error] ixEthMiiPhyScan : unexpected Mii PHY ID 00008201
            > > > <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixp0 is using the PHY at address 1
            > > > <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixp1 is using the PHY at address 0
            > > > <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixEthMiiLinkStatus failed on PHY0.
            > > > <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: ^ICan't determine
            > > >
            > > > They didn't stop the slug booting though (assuming that I have correctly identified the log as showing the boot from step 6).

            <45>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: 0x00160000-0x00180000 : "Ramdisk"
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: 0x00180000-0x007e0000 : "Flashdisk"
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: 0x007e0000-0x00800000 : "FIS directory"
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: usb.c: registered new driver hub
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: pci probe begin
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: ehci_hcd 00:01.2: NEC Corporation USB 2.0
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: ehci_hcd 00:01.2: irq 26, pci mem c3872f00
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: PCI: 00:01.2 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (0 bytes) by BIOS/FW.
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: PCI: 00:01.2 PCI cache line size corrected to 32.
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: ehci_hcd 00:01.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Jun-19/2.4
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: Device descriptor:18 bytes received.
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: hub.c: USB hub found
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: hub.c: 5 ports detected
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: pci probe ok
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: host/usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.3 $ time 18:18:04 Apr 10 2006
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: host/usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: host/usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: host/usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc387a000, IRQ 28
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: host/usb-ohci.c: usb-00:01.0, NEC Corporation USB
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: Device descriptor:18 bytes received.
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: hub.c: USB hub found
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: ted
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: host/usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc3880000, IRQ 27
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: host/usb-ohci.c: usb-00:01.1, NEC Corporation USB (#2)
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:41 klogd: usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Device descriptor:18 bytes received.
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: hub.c: USB hub found
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: hub.c: 2 ports detected
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: USB Mass Storage support registered.
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: i2c-dev.o: Registered 'IXP425 I2C Adapter' as minor 0
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: i2c-core.o: adapter IXP425 I2C Adapter registered as adapter 0.
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: TCP: Hash tables configured (established 2048 bind 4096)
            <43>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: IP-Config: No network devices available.
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: NetWinder Floating Point Emulator V0.97 (double precision)
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00120000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00140000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00160000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00180000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x001a0000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x001c0000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x001e0000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00200000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00220000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00240000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00260000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00280000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x002a0000
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset 0x00540000
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem).
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:42 klogd: Freeing init memory: 244K
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:44 klogd: Module init.
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:44 klogd: ixp425_eth:
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:44 klogd: Initializing IXP425 NPE Ethernet driver software v. 1.1
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:44 klogd: ixp425_eth: CPU clock speed (approx) = 0 MHz
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:44 klogd: [error] ixEthMiiPhyScan : unexpected Mii PHY ID 00008201
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixp0 is using the PHY at address 1
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixp1 is using the PHY at address 0
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: ixp425_eth: ixEthMiiLinkStatus failed on PHY0.
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: ^ICan't determine
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: the auto negotiated parameters. Using default values.
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: enable_irq(22) unbalanced from c39431bc
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: X1226: I2C based RTC driver.
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: i2c-core.o: driver X1226 registered.
            <46>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: X1226: found X1226 on IXP425 I2C Adapter
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: i2c-core.o: client [X1226] registered to adapter [IXP425 I2C Adapter](pos. 0).
            <44>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: atr is 20
            <45>Jan 1 01:00:48 klogd: ufsd: driver loaded
            <38>Apr 19 18:00:36 login[526]: root login on `ttyp0' from `192.168.1.5'
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-1, assigned address 2
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: Device descriptor:18 bytes received.
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: Protocol: Transparent SCSI
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: *** detect:usb-storage
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: * scsi_register: usb-storage-0,
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: * scsi_reg, hostno:1 prot is 49
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: * scsi_reg, retval->host_no:1
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: ! scan_scsis
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: do read capacity!!!
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: read capacity ok!!!
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: The capacity is 488397168
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: *** 49
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: Vendor: Initio Model: MHX2250BT Rev: 3.01
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: SCSI device sdb: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: 31 port connect!!!!!
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: Partition check:
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: p1 p2 p3
            <47>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
            <47>Apr 19 18:11:14 klogd: USB Mass Storage device found at 2
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:16 klogd: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:16 klogd: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on sd(8,17), internal journal
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:16 klogd: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:16 klogd: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:16 klogd: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on sd(8,18), internal journal
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:16 klogd: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-2, assigned address 3
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: Device descriptor:18 bytes received.
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: Protocol: Transparent SCSI
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: *** detect:usb-storage
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: * scsi_register: usb-storage-1,
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: * scsi_reg, hostno:0 prot is 50
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: * scsi_reg, retval->host_no:0
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: ! scan_scsis
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: do read capacity!!!
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: read capacity ok!!!
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: The capacity is 976773168
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: *** 50
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: Vendor: WD Model: 5000AAV External Rev: 1.65
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: SCSI device sda: 976773168 512-byte hdwr sectors (500108 MB)
            <44>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: 32 port connect!!!!!
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: p1
            <47>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
            <47>Apr 19 18:11:20 klogd: USB Mass Storage device found at 3
            <46>Apr 19 18:11:21 klogd: Adding Swap: 56220k swap-space (priority -1)
            <46>Apr 19 18:12:26 klogd: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on sd(8,17), internal journal
          • jl0242
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 19 2:03 PM
              Thanks for the help Roland!

              I booted the slug and logged on via telnet, then plugged in the USB flash drive and tried "init s". The result was this on the telnet console:

              http://pastebin.com/f5495484c

              All looks pretty healthy, but it's just stuck at the 'Checking disk status' line. It's been there for about 20 minutes now. The only devices it could possibly be checking are the 512mb flash drive and the internal flash. I doubt either of these would take this long, so I suspect it has crashed. Interestingly, all the lights on the slug are solid on now (no flashing ready/status), with the occasional ethernet flicker. However, I guess this could just be because this wasn't a clean boot but a pseudo-boot.

              I'm done for the night now, but when I get the chance I think I'll scrub the thing and do a fresh install of Unslung 6.10. If this is successful, at least I'll know the internal flash is probably functioning properly.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 23 11:23 AM
                Well after cleansing and reinstalling the slug (formatting my USB flash drive, flashing Unslung 6.10 and unslinging again) everything is back to normal.

                Never got to the bottom of the original problem, but I suspect it was down to me messing up the boot configuration with a dodgy change to one of my rc scripts.

                Thanks for the help guys!

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 23 5:26 PM
                  Slug seems to be working fine after the reflash (with a USB stick, passive USB hub and two external HDDs plugged in), so I expect the power supply is okay. I did have the classic power supply problems about a year ago, so I'm probably about due for that to give out again soon!

                  The symptoms here didn't seem as severe as when the power supply was dying last year. No orange lights this time around, just a boot sequence that looked very normal but never seemed to finish the final stages.