USB 2.5 drive power issue

  • humpda
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2009
      Hi
      I was just given an NSLU2 without a power supply. I purchased a power brick (5v, 3amps) with the appropriate adapter. However the unit seems to have issues powering a 2.5" external drive reliably. I initially tried hooking up a 250 gig sata drive in a generic (ritmo) case (and also tried another case). It sometimes would power up, but then the drive would make a clicking sound...and the drive would not be accessible. It seemed to work better with a 80gig pata drive but tonight it did the same thing....drive starts to spin up then seems to constantly restart. I have tried another 5v 2amps power supply with same result. What could be causing this issue and what can I do to diagnose this issue and resolve it....or am I just better using an 3.5 powered case with the slug? (I am using it as a twonky streamer for xbox360 and transmission client)

      Cheers