Re: nslu2 compatibility database

  • janne5011
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 15, 2009
      HI, this group contains no such databas.
      but try a search

      try to search here to
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

      good luck
      /j

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "mobybit" <mobybit@...> wrote:

      > Is there a nslu2 chipset / usb device compatibility database ?
      >
      > Several people refer to this group as a place to find compatibility of usb external enclosures and devices with the nslu2. Hope I'm not missing something obvious but I'm not seeing a compatibility database in the files section of this yahoo group.

    • Joel Gebhart
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 15, 2009
        If you are looking for a generic USB enclosure to stick a drive in, there are very few people who have had trouble with any of them. Now if you are using a prebuilt USB external drive, or a NAS enclosure, I believe some people have had a little more trouble. I'm using this SATA/USB enclosure for a 2.5" drive. It is cheap and it works great.

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816003
      • ncnrick
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 20, 2009
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

          > HI, this group contains no such databas.
          > but try a search
          >
          > try to search here to
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

          According to www.nslu2-linux.org this group should contain such a compatability database.
          Check http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/ListsOfDriveEnclosuresChipsetsAndDriveCombinationsThatWork

          Maybe the database is still under construction.

          Rick.
        • janne5011
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21, 2009
            sorry my wrong.

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ncnrick" <rkelly@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
            > >
            > > HI, this group contains no such databas.
            > > but try a search
            > >
            > > try to search here to
            > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
            > >

            > According to www.nslu2-linux.org this group should contain such a compatability database.
            > Check http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/ListsOfDriveEnclosuresChipsetsAndDriveCombinationsThatWork
            >
            > Maybe the database is still under construction.
            >
            > Rick.

          • mobybit
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 24, 2009
              Yep, this is the place that several other pages external to this group
              reference : http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/database .
              For instance : http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/ListsOfDriveEnclosuresChipsetsAndDriveCombinationsThatWork .

              However, when I try to navigate to the page I get this message :
              "You are not a moderator of the group nslu2-general."

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

              > sorry my wrong.
              >

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ncnrick" <rkelly@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > HI, this group contains no such databas.
              > > > but try a search
              > > >
              > > > try to search here to
              > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
              > > >

              > > According to www.nslu2-linux.org this group should contain such a compatability database.
              > > Check http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/ListsOfDriveEnclosuresChipsetsAndDriveCombinationsThatWork
              > >
              > > Maybe the database is still under construction.
              > >
              > > Rick.

            • mobybit
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 24, 2009
                Several people have apparently found a database at
                http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/database . This is
                referenced in other forums such as
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/ListsOfDriveEnclosuresChipsetsAndDr\
                iveCombinationsThatWork .

                However, when I go there I get this message : "You are not a moderator
                of the group nslu2-general. "

                What's your result for going to that database page ?

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@...> wrote:

                > sorry my wrong.

              • janne5011
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
                  I can see it cause Im a moderator. I tried to change the policy but I dont think it will work for users, but try again.
                  As a user I cant see the database-link.
                  I also tried to copy the relevant part into a html plaintext but it
                  didnt work to well.,its more or less unreadable that way=(.
                  anyway here it is
                  http://wshavsskogen.ownit.nu/slugdb.html

                  I have no more time working with it.

                  sorry maybe the groupowner can fix this issue.
                  Another problem for me is: groupowner dont answer my emails....

                  have a good time=)

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "mobybit" <mobybit@...> wrote:

                  > Several people have apparently found a database at
                  > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/database . This is
                  > referenced in other forums such as
                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/ListsOfDriveEnclosuresChipsetsAndDr\
                  > iveCombinationsThatWork .
                  >
                  > However, when I go there I get this message : "You are not a moderator
                  > of the group nslu2-general. "
                  >
                  > What's your result for going to that database page ?
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > sorry my wrong.

                • Mike (mwester)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 27, 2009
                    I think that it should be apparent by now that the database is quite
                    out-of-date, and that it's probably not useful any longer (else someone
                    would have fixed this a long time ago!).

                    The USB enclosure compatibility is a function of software, not hardware.
                    SlugOS, OpenWRT, and Debian are recent kernels, and you'll find that if
                    it works on the desktop, it'll work with the NSLU2. Unslung still has
                    restrictions, and perhaps a copy of that information might be useful for
                    Unslung users?

                    Moving that to the wiki is on the list of things to address, but I can't
                    promise when that info would be available. Volunteers to do this are
                    happily accepted.

                    -Mike (mwester)

                    janne5011 wrote:
                    > I can see it cause Im a moderator. I tried to change the policy but I dont think it will work for users, but try again.
                    > As a user I cant see the database-link.
                    > I also tried to copy the relevant part into a html plaintext but it
                    > didnt work to well.,its more or less unreadable that way=(.
                    > anyway here it is
                    > http://wshavsskogen.ownit.nu/slugdb.html
                    >
                    > I have no more time working with it.
                    >
                    > sorry maybe the groupowner can fix this issue.
                    > Another problem for me is: groupowner dont answer my emails....
                    >
                    > have a good time=)
                    >

                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "mobybit" <mobybit@...> wrote:
                    >> Several people have apparently found a database at
                    >> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/database . This is
                    >> referenced in other forums such as
                    >> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/ListsOfDriveEnclosuresChipsetsAndDr\
                    >> iveCombinationsThatWork .
                    >>
                    >> However, when I go there I get this message : "You are not a moderator
                    >> of the group nslu2-general. "
                    >>
                    >> What's your result for going to that database page ?
                    >>

                    >> --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "janne5011" <janne5011@> wrote:
                    >>> sorry my wrong.

                  • Rod Whitby
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 27, 2009
                      janne5011 wrote:
                      > sorry maybe the groupowner can fix this issue.
                      > Another problem for me is: groupowner dont answer my emails....

                      I'm not the group owner, but I had enough access to change the database
                      to be readable to group members.

                      -- Rod