RE: [nslu2-general] New hardware to replace NSLU2

  • Viktor S. Kristensen
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
      whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

      To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      From: rod@...
      Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030
      Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] New hardware to replace NSLU2

      Joel Gebhart wrote:

      > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A

      > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is

      > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?

      > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html

      > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I

      > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many

      > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

      We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which

      is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously

      agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

      Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

      -- Rod

    • David Given
      • Gregg C Levine
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 7, 2009
          Hello!
          And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
          it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

          I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
          discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
          USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

          Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
          --
          Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

          On
          > Behalf Of David Given
          > Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2009 12:06 AM
          > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
          >
          > Gregg C Levine wrote:
          > > Hello!
          > > To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual
          "Works
          > > for me!".
          > >
          > > I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
          > > little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring
          what I
          > > plan on running on it.)
          >
          > Well, I've just ordered one, and I know *exactly* what I want to run on
          > it...
          >
          > It does look as if a port would be pretty much trivial; it's already got
          > a Linux kernel and runs Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope), so any of the
          > Unslung/SlugOS LE userlands should Just Work.
          >
          > Incidentally, have you spotted the serial console hooked up (via a
          > built-in USB-Serial converter) to the USB device socket on the side?
          > Very neat! You may also be interested to know that this device (the
          > exact shape and size as a USB phone charger, and would actually work as
          > one) has about the same spec as a high-end PC from 2002.
          >
          > - --
          > David Given
          > dg@...

        • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 25, 2009

            Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
            noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
            RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
            2009).

            Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

            -- Paul

          • janne5011
            Message 5 of 27 , May 1 4:02 AM
              This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

              its about a project:
              porting debian=)

              http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer