Re: [nslu2-general] Installation error

  • Tom Gross
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
      Stephen,

      Can you tell us what your configuration is? Are you
      running Windows XP? What is your external drive? Has
      it ever been formatted before?

      I remember (from having gone through this about 10
      days ago) that getting an NSLU2 to work as advertised
      right out of the box is not trivial, but I did manage
      to get it to work.

      -Tom

      --- stephenwalker06 <stephenwalker06@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > I have yet to get my NSLU2 to work. I'm using out
      > of the box
      > firmware and attempting to install... I can set up
      > my network
      > settings just fine... I get to the point where I am
      > supposed to save
      > my changes... and every time it tells me that
      > "saving configuration
      > changes failed!" The funny thing about that is when
      > I go back and
      > run setup again... the changes were saved.
      >
      > I am able to access the configuration site... but
      > when I get there
      > and try to go to administration I get the problem
      > with it looking for
      > a "management password". I still have it set to the
      >
      > default "admin"... but everything I put in there
      > doesn't work. I've
      > tried using the computer administrator account as my
      > username... with
      > admin as password... as well as with it's own
      > password... along with
      > just about every other combination I can think of...
      > nothing! Could
      > I have possibly locked myself out with too many bad
      > attempts??? When
      > I go to the "user password" screen to attempt to add
      > a user, I get
      > the message "Warning: No HDD installed, operation on
      > user, group, and
      > share is disabled." I can't even format a drive...
      > I can't do
      > anything with this stupid thing! Someone please
      > help before I throw
      > it out the window!!!!

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • dnaman43
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "stephenwalker06"
        <stephenwalker06@h...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I have yet to get my NSLU2 to work. I'm using out of the box
        > firmware and attempting to install... I can set up my network
        > settings just fine... I get to the point where I am supposed to
        save
        > my changes... and every time it tells me that "saving configuration
        > changes failed!" The funny thing about that is when I go back and
        > run setup again... the changes were saved.
        >
        > I am able to access the configuration site... but when I get there
        > and try to go to administration I get the problem with it looking
        for
        > a "management password". I still have it set to the
        > default "admin"... but everything I put in there doesn't work.
        I've
        > tried using the computer administrator account as my username...
        with
        > admin as password... as well as with it's own password... along
        with
        > just about every other combination I can think of... nothing!
        Could
        > I have possibly locked myself out with too many bad attempts???
        When
        > I go to the "user password" screen to attempt to add a user, I get
        > the message "Warning: No HDD installed, operation on user, group,
        and
        > share is disabled." I can't even format a drive... I can't do
        > anything with this stupid thing! Someone please help before I
        throw
        > it out the window!!!!

        Have you tried doing a full reset. Can't recall the exact method
        offhand but it's in the pdf user manual on the CD. I believe you hold
        the reset button down for more than 10 sec (but check the manual
        first). This should reset most parameters, in particular the admin
        password.