Re: WOL

  • docbillnet
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

      > I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
      > supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.

      I'm not sure about that...

      > Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
      > take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
      > read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
      > CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
      > attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
      > seconds for my media server to start responding.

      Chances are you already have to wait a few seconds for other reasons.
      It is not uncommon, when I haven't done anything for a while, to hear
      my disks for my NSLU2 spin up, by something simple like opening a web
      page in Firefox.

      The reason that happens, is among other things, I have my NSLU2
      configure as a DNS server. Because the NSLU2 has such limited amount
      of ram, eventually after enough idle time, the DNS server process gets
      swapped out to disk. After a while of not using the disks, the USB
      enclosure spins those down. So a few hours later, when I decide to
      use firefox the process is delayed for two seconds while the NSLU2
      spins up the disks and then loads the process back into memory. WOL
      would not add a significant amount of additional delay to this...

      Bill

    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
        Joel Gebhart wrote:
        > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
        > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
        > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
        >
        > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
        >
        > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
        > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
        > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

        We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which
        is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously
        agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

        Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

        -- Rod
      • Viktor S. Kristensen
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
          whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

          To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
          From: rod@...
          Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030
          Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] New hardware to replace NSLU2

          Joel Gebhart wrote:

          > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A

          > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is

          > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?

          > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html

          > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I

          > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many

          > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

          We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which

          is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously

          agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

          Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

          -- Rod

        • Joel Gebhart
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
            > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
            > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

            That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to support Marvell and yall's work.
          • Gregg C Levine
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
              Hello!
              To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
              for me!".

              I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
              little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
              plan on running on it.)

              --
              Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

              On
              > Behalf Of Joel Gebhart
              > Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 3:33 PM
              > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
              >
              > > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
              > > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.
              >
              > That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to
              support Marvell and yall's
              > work.
            • David Given
              • Gregg C Levine
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 7, 2009
                  Hello!
                  And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
                  it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

                  I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
                  discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
                  USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

                  Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
                  --
                  Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 25, 2009

                    Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
                    noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
                    RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
                    2009).

                    Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

                    -- Paul

                  • janne5011
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 1, 2009
                      This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

                      its about a project:
                      porting debian=)

                      http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer