Re: WOL

  • Joel Gebhart
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
      I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
      supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.
      Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
      take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
      read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
      CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
      attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
      seconds for my media server to start responding.
    • docbillnet
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

        > I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
        > supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.

        I'm not sure about that...

        > Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
        > take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
        > read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
        > CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
        > attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
        > seconds for my media server to start responding.

        Chances are you already have to wait a few seconds for other reasons.
        It is not uncommon, when I haven't done anything for a while, to hear
        my disks for my NSLU2 spin up, by something simple like opening a web
        page in Firefox.

        The reason that happens, is among other things, I have my NSLU2
        configure as a DNS server. Because the NSLU2 has such limited amount
        of ram, eventually after enough idle time, the DNS server process gets
        swapped out to disk. After a while of not using the disks, the USB
        enclosure spins those down. So a few hours later, when I decide to
        use firefox the process is delayed for two seconds while the NSLU2
        spins up the disks and then loads the process back into memory. WOL
        would not add a significant amount of additional delay to this...

        Bill

      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
          Joel Gebhart wrote:
          > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
          > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
          > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
          >
          > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
          >
          > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
          > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
          > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

          We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which
          is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously
          agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

          Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

          -- Rod
        • Viktor S. Kristensen
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
            whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

            To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
            From: rod@...
            Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030
            Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] New hardware to replace NSLU2

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
              > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
              > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

              That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to support Marvell and yall's work.
            • Gregg C Levine
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                Hello!
                To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                for me!".

                I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                plan on running on it.)

                --
                Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                On
                > Behalf Of Joel Gebhart
                > Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 3:33 PM
                > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
                >
                > > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                > > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.
                >
                > That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to
                support Marvell and yall's
                > work.
              • David Given

                  Gregg C Levine wrote:
                  > Hello!
                  > To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                  > for me!".
                  >
                  > I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                  > little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                  > plan on running on it.)

                  Well, I've just ordered one, and I know *exactly* what I want to run on
                  it...

                  It does look as if a port would be pretty much trivial; it's already got
                  a Linux kernel and runs Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope), so any of the
                  Unslung/SlugOS LE userlands should Just Work.

                  Incidentally, have you spotted the serial console hooked up (via a
                  built-in USB-Serial converter) to the USB device socket on the side?
                  Very neat! You may also be interested to know that this device (the
                  exact shape and size as a USB phone charger, and would actually work as
                  one) has about the same spec as a high-end PC from 2002.

                  - --
                  David Given
                  dg@...

                • Gregg C Levine
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 7, 2009
                    Hello!
                    And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
                    it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

                    I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
                    discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
                    USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

                    Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
                    --
                    Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                  • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 25, 2009
                      Hi,

                      Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
                      noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
                      RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
                      2009).

                      Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

                      -- Paul

                    • janne5011
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 1, 2009
                        This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

                        its about a project:
                        porting debian=)

                        http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer