Re: Power usage

  • Joel Gebhart
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
      The Marvell SheevaPlug uses 5 watts (but I don't see whether this is
      on the AC or DC side). The Slug uses 2.5 watts on the DC side, at the
      AC side it is just under 4 watts. Most of the tiny form factor
      computers in this thread have their specs online, and seem to use
      under 20 watts. I consider anything less than 20 watts to be
      irrelevant for my purposes.
    • Joel Gebhart
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
        I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
        supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.
        Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
        take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
        read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
        CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
        attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
        seconds for my media server to start responding.
      • docbillnet
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

          > I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
          > supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.

          I'm not sure about that...

          > Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
          > take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
          > read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
          > CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
          > attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
          > seconds for my media server to start responding.

          Chances are you already have to wait a few seconds for other reasons.
          It is not uncommon, when I haven't done anything for a while, to hear
          my disks for my NSLU2 spin up, by something simple like opening a web
          page in Firefox.

          The reason that happens, is among other things, I have my NSLU2
          configure as a DNS server. Because the NSLU2 has such limited amount
          of ram, eventually after enough idle time, the DNS server process gets
          swapped out to disk. After a while of not using the disks, the USB
          enclosure spins those down. So a few hours later, when I decide to
          use firefox the process is delayed for two seconds while the NSLU2
          spins up the disks and then loads the process back into memory. WOL
          would not add a significant amount of additional delay to this...

          Bill

        • Rod Whitby
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
            Joel Gebhart wrote:
            > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
            > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
            > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
            >
            > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
            >
            > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
            > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
            > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

            We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which
            is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously
            agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

            Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

            -- Rod
          • Viktor S. Kristensen
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
              whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

              To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
              From: rod@...
              Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030
              Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] New hardware to replace NSLU2

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to support Marvell and yall's work.
              • Gregg C Levine
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                  Hello!
                  To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                  for me!".

                  I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                  little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                  plan on running on it.)

                  --
                  Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                  On
                  > Behalf Of Joel Gebhart
                  > Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 3:33 PM
                  > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
                  >
                  > > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                  > > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.
                  >
                  > That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to
                  support Marvell and yall's
                  > work.
                • David Given
                  • Gregg C Levine
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 7, 2009
                      Hello!
                      And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
                      it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

                      I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
                      discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
                      USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

                      Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
                      --
                      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                    • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 25, 2009

                        Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
                        noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
                        RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
                        2009).

                        Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

                        -- Paul

                      • janne5011
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 1, 2009
                          This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

                          its about a project:
                          porting debian=)

                          http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer