RE: [nslu2-general] New hardware to replace NSLU2

  • Urban Cubbage
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2, 2009
      I would assume that since it is newer up to date hardware that they would
      have Wake-On-Lan which would use a lot less power since they would turn off
      most of the power after a time with no activity and turn back on with
      activity on Lan.

      I agree with most of the comments on this, I bought Slug because it was
      cheap and low power. The new stuff with have to have this also.

      Thank You

      Urban

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
        The Marvell SheevaPlug uses 5 watts (but I don't see whether this is
        on the AC or DC side). The Slug uses 2.5 watts on the DC side, at the
        AC side it is just under 4 watts. Most of the tiny form factor
        computers in this thread have their specs online, and seem to use
        under 20 watts. I consider anything less than 20 watts to be
        irrelevant for my purposes.
      • Joel Gebhart
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
          I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
          supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.
          Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
          take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
          read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
          CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
          attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
          seconds for my media server to start responding.
        • docbillnet
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

            > I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
            > supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.

            I'm not sure about that...

            > Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
            > take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
            > read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
            > CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
            > attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
            > seconds for my media server to start responding.

            Chances are you already have to wait a few seconds for other reasons.
            It is not uncommon, when I haven't done anything for a while, to hear
            my disks for my NSLU2 spin up, by something simple like opening a web
            page in Firefox.

            The reason that happens, is among other things, I have my NSLU2
            configure as a DNS server. Because the NSLU2 has such limited amount
            of ram, eventually after enough idle time, the DNS server process gets
            swapped out to disk. After a while of not using the disks, the USB
            enclosure spins those down. So a few hours later, when I decide to
            use firefox the process is delayed for two seconds while the NSLU2
            spins up the disks and then loads the process back into memory. WOL
            would not add a significant amount of additional delay to this...

            Bill

          • Rod Whitby
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
              Joel Gebhart wrote:
              > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
              > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
              > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
              >
              > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
              >
              > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
              > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
              > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

              We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which
              is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously
              agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

              Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

              -- Rod
            • Viktor S. Kristensen
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

                To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                From: rod@...
                Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                  > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                  > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                  That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to support Marvell and yall's work.
                • Gregg C Levine
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                    Hello!
                    To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                    for me!".

                    I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                    little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                    plan on running on it.)

                    --
                    Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                    On
                    > Behalf Of Joel Gebhart
                    > Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 3:33 PM
                    > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
                    >
                    > > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                    > > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.
                    >
                    > That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to
                    support Marvell and yall's
                    > work.
                  • David Given

                      Gregg C Levine wrote:
                      > Hello!
                      > To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                      > for me!".
                      >
                      > I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                      > little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                      > plan on running on it.)

                      Well, I've just ordered one, and I know *exactly* what I want to run on
                      it...

                      It does look as if a port would be pretty much trivial; it's already got
                      a Linux kernel and runs Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope), so any of the
                      Unslung/SlugOS LE userlands should Just Work.

                      Incidentally, have you spotted the serial console hooked up (via a
                      built-in USB-Serial converter) to the USB device socket on the side?
                      Very neat! You may also be interested to know that this device (the
                      exact shape and size as a USB phone charger, and would actually work as
                      one) has about the same spec as a high-end PC from 2002.

                      - --
                      David Given
                      dg@...

                    • Gregg C Levine
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 7, 2009
                        Hello!
                        And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
                        it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

                        I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
                        discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
                        USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

                        Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
                        --
                        Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                      • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 25, 2009
                          Hi,

                          Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
                          noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
                          RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
                          2009).

                          Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

                          -- Paul

                        • janne5011
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 1 4:02 AM
                            This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

                            its about a project:
                            porting debian=)

                            http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer